Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   shall I quilt or shall I tie? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shall-i-quilt-shall-i-tie-t239708.html)

justflyingin 01-26-2014 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=audsgirl;6537134]It's a very fun quilt. You did a great job. I would do what you are most comfortable with. You can practice machine quilting on smaller pieces to gain confidence. I know how hard it is to wrestle with a large quilt, especi

Ditto.

If it were my quilt and I were using thin cotton batting, I'd use the machine and quilt it. If I were using fat, fluffy poly batting, I'd tie it.

It is pretty and will be nice either way.

cajunowl 01-27-2014 05:47 AM

thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try quilting it, and use the safety pin suggestion by zzmom!

gabeway 01-27-2014 05:49 AM

I'm for quilting!

Jingle 01-27-2014 05:52 AM

I only tie comforters, as they are usually too thick to quilt.
I only quilt my quilts. Ultimately it is your quilt and you can do whichever you want. It is very pretty.

QuiltnNan 01-27-2014 07:58 AM

either way is fine. but if you choose machine quilting, try using elmer's glue to baste as the fabrics will be more stable

tessagin 01-27-2014 08:09 AM

It is totally your choice obviously but I would love to see it quilted not tied. Pretty quilt!

ManiacQuilter2 01-27-2014 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Diane007 (Post 6537022)
I am a quilter...

I am also only a quilter. I never use fat polyester batting which is the only reason I would tie a quilt. I would stitch diagonally going thru the center of the large squares (known as crosshatching). Very easy to quilt. You could continue out into the borders. Or you could stitch vertically and horizontally. You made a very pretty quilt. Have fun. That is why we quilt !!

Sierra 01-27-2014 08:29 AM

There was only one quilt which told me to tie it… it was made of 1" squares (finished) and the theme was Monet's Garden. I couldn't "see" where to put any quilt lines that wouldn't take away from the (finally, after 3 years of working on it) design. My arthritis doesn't allow me to tie knots, so DH did it for me! I used floss and matched the color of each knot to the design color at that particular spot and he did the tying. It was the only "perfect way to quilt it.

Jeanne S 01-27-2014 08:43 AM

I would quilt it. Simple straight line quilting one inch apart would look great on your pretty quilt. But I have had the same problems as you so understand your concern. Pin a lot and use a walking foot.

youngduncan 01-28-2014 04:18 AM

What about SITD around the border, then tying in the center? It might be that you could use SITD along the edges of the block just to hold everything together securely, then tie in the centers of the blocks (and perhaps the block seams) to add visual interest. Even with all your super colors dancing around the top, the ties would certainly pop out, too! Whatever you decide, you will have a great quilt when you're finished with it.