Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shape Cut Plus or Pro? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shape-cut-plus-pro-t194419.html)

SharonTX 07-12-2012 10:53 AM

Shape Cut Plus or Pro?

I have been using the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler since I started quilting last year. Recently, I purchased the Alto's QuiltCut 2 from a private individual and I hate to admit this, but I do not like it at all. If it were possible to insert the fabric from the end like on the QuiltCut Pro, then I would have no problem with it.
Anyways, since I like the Shape Cut, I want to upgrade, but I don't know which one to go for, the Plus or Pro ruler. Any suggestions?

TIA :)

Prism99 07-12-2012 10:59 AM

I have them all, I think. Thought I *had* to have the Pro, but have since realized that it is very limiting because you can only cut increments of 2.5". If you have yardage that you want to cut into jelly rolls strips, then that is nice to have because you are cutting a lot of strips from one piece of fabric. Otherwise, if you are cutting a wide variety of 2.5" strips from many different fabrics for a quilt, it is easier to use the other Shape Cuts.

In my opinion, the Shape Cut Plus is a much more versatile tool.

BellaBoo 07-12-2012 11:15 AM

I have the Shape Cut Plus and the Pro. I use them both. I have one called the Shape Cut Sprint. The sprint is my take to class/workshop ruler. It's smaller. I have the Alto Quilt Cut2 and I was told I could buy the fabric holder like the Pro has, to use with the Quilt Cut 2. From what I remember seeing of the Pro, the fabric comes off the bolt holder and is not secured at that end, the fabric lays on the mat from the holder without clamps.

SharonTX 07-12-2012 11:37 AM

Yea, if it were possible to secure the fabric with the clamps and such in order to bring the fabric from the end of the board on the quilt cut 2, it would be awesome. Or even if the board was wider than what it is now with the fabric coming in from the side, maybe that would make a difference. Guess I'm so use to laying more of the fabric out on a cutting mat and able to cut more at a time and that's why I don't like the quilt cut. Hubby says he wants to give it a shot, before I try to sale it, as he does most of the cutting. We shall see, but honestly, I think he'll prefer the shape cut rulers also.

BellaBoo 07-12-2012 11:48 AM

I use the Alto 2 mostly when using fat quarters or 1/2 yards to cut.

PaperPrincess 07-12-2012 11:52 AM

To me, if you can't cut across the entire width of the fabric, the tool's value is lessened. I have the shape cutter Pro and like it. I also have a studio cutter and several strip dies, but when I need to cut a width I don't have a die for, I use the Pro. Yes, you need to reposition the ruler for each cut if it's not a multiple of 2.5" but you'd have to reposition any ruler. The shape cutters really help get a straight cut. I waited til JoAnn's had a free shipping special and used a coupon. I think theyonly carry the Pro on line.

SharonTX 07-12-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5359186)
I have them all, I think. Thought I *had* to have the Pro, but have since realized that it is very limiting because you can only cut increments of 2.5". If you have yardage that you want to cut into jelly rolls strips, then that is nice to have because you are cutting a lot of strips from one piece of fabric. Otherwise, if you are cutting a wide variety of 2.5" strips from many different fabrics for a quilt, it is easier to use the other Shape Cuts.

In my opinion, the Shape Cut Plus is a much more versatile tool.

There ya go, the keyword "had". lol

With the shape cut plus, it does have the 1/2 cut, correct? If so, I can still cut strips as needed and save money! :)

DawnFurlong 07-12-2012 12:02 PM

I recently added the Shape Cut Plus to my collection (I already had the Shape Cut - but liked that this one was a little longer and I liked the directions for sub-cutting in other increments, like 1/4"). LOVE this ruler more than my original, and that has to do with the additional 6 inches. I looked at the Pro, but felt that would be limiting since it was set up for 2.5" strips.

elizajo 07-13-2012 06:32 AM

I love, love, love my Shape Cut Plus. It makes such accurate cuts--- no more mistakes from slipping rulers or misreading numbers. I mark the increments for my cuts with sticky note arrows.

I recently bought the Pro and a smaller one that is meant for fringing rag blocks. I thought I needed a bigger and smaller version, but I'm not so sure they're necessary. Last week I pulled out the Pro for cutting 60" sashings. It didn't have the markings I needed. I could do the math for the first one, but had to move the fabric for the subsequent cuts. Also, it is huge, which presents a storage problem.

If June Tailor would make a Pro with the Shape Cut Plus markings, I would love it.

cmw0829 07-13-2012 06:42 AM

I have the Shape Cut Plus and love it for cutting pieces that will be subcut. However (there's always a however), I find that sometimes my double folding of fabrics to allow cutting across the full width of the yardage sometimes has slight doglegs on the fold lines. So if I need to cut a piece that will be used in a border, I use a regular ruler and fold the fabric once - you know, the usual way with the selvages meeting.

However...I think the Shape Cut Pro would be a good tool for these longer cuts, even if the ruler would need to be moved for each cut. My reasoning is that sometimes my rotary cutter will slip slightly toward the end of the cut. As well, it would probably reduce the number of trims that I have to make to ensure that I haven't gone slightly off square.