Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sharlene Jorgensen templates (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharlene-jorgensen-templates-t237697.html)

MFord 12-30-2013 11:21 AM

I didn't mean to say I thought Shar was outdated. Just, I've seen so many new tools for half-square triangles, flying geese, etc. while watching Fons and Porter or Quilt in a Day. I guess they don't show Shar's videos on our public TV station. I will start watching them on YouTube right away! Thank you all for helping!

ptquilts 12-30-2013 11:35 AM

I used to do handquilting for Shar and I have to say I have never seen, before or since, such precisely pieced quilt tops. Astounding!

charlottequilts 12-30-2013 01:35 PM

I've never used acrylic templates, although I've seen them. Do you use a rotary cutter with them or trace and cut scissors? Or something else?

thanks,
Charlotte

Prism99 12-30-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts (Post 6482388)
I've never used acrylic templates, although I've seen them. Do you use a rotary cutter with them or trace and cut scissors? Or something else?

Although you could trace and cut with scissors, acrylic templates are usually used with a rotary cutter -- typically the smallest one, 28mm, which is easier to use accurately with templates than the more typical 45mm and 60mm cutters.

MFord 12-30-2013 04:12 PM

I just went through the stack of books and realized that this was all a very precise system. I think I should go to the first book and work through at least some of it before I try one of her big quilts. Something interesting to do in the New Year! I also have a number of the VHS tapes that go with the books - will have to get a VHS player in order to watch them!

sewplease 12-30-2013 04:23 PM

Lucky you! This sounds like a fantastic purchase. I made my one and only (so far) log cabin quilt with her book and templates years ago. I would probably do it again that way because I like cutting the pieces to size. She's great! :-)

charlottequilts 12-30-2013 07:43 PM

Thanks so much for the explanation, Prism99. I felt like a dunce asking it, but i truly didn't know.

hugs, charlotte

Geri B 12-31-2013 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prairie Chick (Post 6482005)
Quilting with Shar has been around for over 25 years - she is GREAT! <3
Check out her site, she has lots of videos you can watch using her templates. :thumbup:

Cannot go wrong with her books and templates...she is one of the pioneers of templates.....bought them then, still use some now....rather use a " bought" template, than try to design my own...tried it, wasted time,energy, and fabric.....JMHO

Geri B 12-31-2013 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts (Post 6482388)

thanks,
Charlotte

Not using templates can really limit your block choices I would think ..try one, you may like it....

Geri B 12-31-2013 07:58 AM

Just went to you tube and watched her DWR video...I think I have that set of templates....makes me want to make that my challenge for the new year, as I have always shied away from that pattern, but her thorough video has urged me on!