Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sharp vs. ball point (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharp-vs-ball-point-t76759.html)

quiltlonger 11-16-2010 01:35 PM

I have a long arm plus a Janome 8000 : I've got the sewing part down but usually don't change a needle till it breaks. Am I wrong??Wanted to know is ball point only for polyester or T shirt quilts??

Quiltforme 11-16-2010 01:36 PM

I change mine once I start to hear it make noise while sewing the stick sound. Some change every time they start a new quilt.

gale 11-16-2010 01:37 PM

I think some religiously change them with each project and some wait until they're dull. I do a mix of both, depending on my mood. And my needle supply.

greensleeves 11-16-2010 01:43 PM

Ballpoint needles are usually used for knit type fabrics where you want the needle to go between the fibers instead of piercing them. For cottons and other woven fabrics, use the sharps.

gale 11-16-2010 01:52 PM

Yeah I use sharp needles for quilting. I use denim needles now but may try topstitch needles when I'm out of my current stash.

scowlkat 11-16-2010 02:13 PM

I only use universal or ball point needles when sewing knits or polyesters. For quilting, I use sharps, usually size 11 or 14 unless I am doing applique and then I use a size 60. (Note that most needle threaders will not thread a size 60 needle because the eye is too small.) If you search the web, you can find charts that explain the uses of each needle. Nancy's Notions also sells quick reference cards talking about needles.

ktbb 11-16-2010 02:19 PM

One reason that ball point needles are used for knits is that if you cut a thread in a knit, you can start a run in the fabric...remember problems with nylons??? As one poster said, the ball point goes between the threads instead of thru them like the sharps do.

quiltlonger 11-16-2010 02:24 PM

Thanks for the posts am going NOW to change needle and Start a new long arm quilt will post tomorrow if all goes well & finish early THANKS

smitty 11-16-2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Yeah I use sharp needles for quilting. I use denim needles now but may try topstitch needles when I'm out of my current stash.

Too big a needle size may make holes in your quilt. I use 90/14 (rarely a 16) in all my FMQ, quilting, etc. have never had a problem--but i do put in a new needle each time I start quilting a top. I usually use 50/3 thread, but have used #12 thread for machine applique' and had not trouble. the Schmetz "quilting needles" are great. here is one place where you do not want to "save". penny wise -pound foolish, they say. Don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, just passing on after hours of quilting from baby quilts to wool quilts. Happy Sewing !

gale 11-16-2010 04:47 PM

I use schmetz 80/12 denim needles. They're recommended by Paula Reid (she teaches the stuff and fluff method).