Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   on sharpening scissors... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharpening-scissors-t298012.html)

Jingle 07-03-2018 03:50 PM

I just use the scissor sharpener I bought at the store. It works for my scissors.

SusieQOH 07-03-2018 04:20 PM

There's a man who has a booth at the farmer's market each week. You may want to see if there is someone in your area. His prices are good.

Onebyone 07-03-2018 04:32 PM

I found it's not worth it unless a real pro does the job. To do a great job the scissors have to be ground and then whetted, smoothed, whetted and smooth for a good long time. Remember the men sitting around with sharpening their knives on a whet stone? Not many will spend the time to do the job right to get an edge that will last.

maryb119 07-03-2018 04:51 PM

Try a local hardware store. Ours sharpens scissors for a reasonable cost.

wildyard 07-03-2018 06:18 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I knew you would not let me down!! Hugs and smiles everyone!

cashs_mom 07-03-2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8086986)
Don't let your husband do it. DH worked on my Ginghers and they have never been the same. Yikes!

I've always heard that you should send Gingher's back to them to sharpen. There's something about the way they do their edge that's different than other scissors and it's easy to ruin them.

Murphy224 07-04-2018 12:45 AM

If you find they can't be sharpened, instead of discarding them, maybe make a shadow box with them inside and hang on your wall. Do a google search for shadow box display and see all kinds of ideas. Just an idea.......

lindaschipper 07-04-2018 03:42 AM

Our Ace hardware sharpens scissors. If you decide to keep a pair of your sisters scissors, I would have them mounted in a shadowbox frame for your wall as a special momento.

lindaschipper 07-04-2018 03:43 AM

Murphy224...I must have been typing the same thought as yours was posting. Two great minds that think alike!!

grandmahoney 07-04-2018 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 8086776)
I inherited several pair of scissors when my sister passed away. They are good brands but they are dull and don't cut well.
I thought there had been a thread here on the board about this, but my searches yielded no results. Are scissors even worth sharpening now days? Is it expensive to have done, or hard to do oneself?
I would love to use her scissors in her memory, but if they can't be productive tools, I really don't have room to just store them.

If they can't be salvaged, I would just keep one pair in her memory and discard the others. There are 5 pair all together.

I would use some of them in a shadow box with a sewing theme fabric in the back ground or doily may be even add a thimble or a spool of thread or even put a picture of your sister in the shadow. Just a thought. It would be something you could remember her by and hang up in your sewing room out of the way. If she has kids you could make a couple of them as gifts.