Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sheets for backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sheets-backing-t211457.html)

Sapphire_Rae 01-19-2013 08:38 PM

Sheets for backing?

2 Attachment(s)
I made this quilt on a whim recently. Saw something similar somewhere and thought "I can do that!" I used some material I had that was used for bedroom curtains in our previous house (actually took apart an accent pillow that I had tucked away to squeak in just enough fabric!). Not sure what I'll do with this one, but sometimes I just like to try things to see if I can do it. I found some blue sheets at a thrift store that looked like they'd be perfect for the back on this heart quilt. Turns out they are the same color blue as the LQS fabric I was going to use. Have you ever used sheets for backing material? With the prices of fabric these days, I find myself really looking for bargains.

pumpkinpatchquilter 01-19-2013 08:51 PM

Long arm quilters often discourage the use of sheets because the tight cotton weave can throw their tension out of whack...I honestly have never tried on my domestic but I know people do. Probably the worst that will happen is you'll go through a lot of needles. :)

Gorgeous fabrics! I can see why you want that sheet, it's perfect!

mighty 01-19-2013 08:59 PM

Beautiful! I have never used a sheet, but others have said it works fine.

Sapphire_Rae 01-19-2013 08:59 PM

Ah! Thanks pumpkinpatch, just the info. I was looking for. I have a HQ16, so I think I may try it for this small one. At least I will only cause myself grief. Part of my plan for quilting this one is to use very white thread in the middle around the heart so the off-white matches the tone-on-tone print a little more. I would have liked those two fabrics to be the same, but was using stash and didn't have enough of either for both areas. I didn't use a pattern, just winged it as I went, which is fairly new to me.

JanTx 01-19-2013 09:42 PM

I have used many sheets, but I quilt on my domestic sewing machine. On this board I have heard that you should ask your LA-er if she will quilt with sheet backing. Since you're doing it yourself - quilt away! Since our quilting sisters of long ago used whatever they could find it would be the machine quilting at issue rather than the integrity of the finished quilt. Your heart is wonderful!

Feathers-N-Fur 01-19-2013 09:49 PM

My first quilt was a mix of cotton prints and poly cotton sheets as the solids with a sheet for the back. After piecing it and before quilting , I read that this could be a problem since the cottons and blends would shrink differently. I finally bit the bullet and quilted it on my DSM. It has worn and washed beautifully. Been on my bed for a year now, and I sleep with my dogs. I say go for it.

Tartan 01-19-2013 10:01 PM

Using sheets is hard if you are hand quilting due to their dense weave. If your machine sews on them fine, go for it.

earthwalker 01-19-2013 11:54 PM

Beautiful quilt and the sheet looks great....let us know how you get on...I have used sheets with success, but not ones with a very high thread count.

Mishi 01-20-2013 12:57 AM

I used a sheet for the backing on my first quilt, quilted it with my DSM. I had no problems at all and the quilt is in regular use :) I say just go for it.

leatheflea 01-20-2013 03:19 AM

I use them all the time. If its over 250 thread count you might need to change needle size.