Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sheets for Backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sheets-backing-t91818.html)

Deborah12687 01-19-2011 06:52 AM

My Sister in law works at a Hotel and she always once in a while will drop by with a big bag of sheets, mattress pads and blankets for me. I use the blankets and sheets for backing and the mattress pads for batting for summer quilts. They sew up so nicely. As long as I can quilt I will be happy with what ever is available to keep the cost down. Our for mothers sewed to keep warm blankets on the bed and quilting now has become a hobby for most. I wonder what they would think of us...

suezquilts 01-19-2011 07:19 AM

I use the 100% cotton from Walmart. They are in a cute rectangle shaped cloth bag with a snap. Solids to stripes. I have done several Customer quilts with them and now I have used them for myself.
Sue

1barron 01-19-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
My Sister in law works at a Hotel and she always once in a while will drop by with a big bag of sheets, mattress pads and blankets for me. I use the blankets and sheets for backing and the mattress pads for batting for summer quilts. They sew up so nicely. As long as I can quilt I will be happy with what ever is available to keep the cost down. Our for mothers sewed to keep warm blankets on the bed and quilting now has become a hobby for most. I wonder what they would think of us...

What a great source to have. I also use blankets in place of batting between sheets for practicing a new FM design.

1barron 01-19-2011 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
sheet fabric is really nice to use.. sturdy. the blends will be more apparent soon.. cotton crops were damaged or replaced in areas. Quilt guild was talking about that last time. do not look forward to a blend for my tops.
I have use the sheets for curtain backs too.. teh hem already done ! so, enjoy! oh for lining of aprons too !

One caution on using sheets. If you are hand quilting it may not make a difference, but for machine quilting you have to make sure that the sheet is squared or it doesn't go in the quilt frame very easily.

cheryl222 01-19-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I use the blends and have no problem hand quilting them they wear forever and do not ball up like some cottons do.

ditto

chairjogger 01-19-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1barron

sheet fabric is really nice to use.. sturdy. the blends will be more apparent soon.. cotton crops were damaged or replaced in areas. Quilt guild was talking about that last time. do not look forward to a blend for my tops.
I have use the sheets for curtain backs too.. teh hem already done ! so, enjoy! oh for lining of aprons too !

One caution on using sheets. If you are hand quilting it may not make a difference, but for machine quilting you have to make sure that the sheet is squared or it doesn't go in the quilt frame very easily.

Thanks for the help on this.. I don't have a frame, so for those - nice warning !

Deborah12687 01-19-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 1barron

I am doing the hand quilting right now until I get my new sewing machine. Thanks for the tip on using the sheets in a quilt frame.

kclausing 01-19-2011 09:46 AM

i use the blends. no problems.

Tropical 01-19-2011 10:10 AM

Thanks so much for all of the information. I will try out the blends that I have found. :)

davidwent 01-19-2011 10:17 AM

If you decide to use sheets before you go drop the bucks at walmart check salvation army and goodwill stores I have gotten many sheets there usually for under two bucks. I always wash them before using
David