Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shipping a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shipping-quilt-t85602.html)

UglyCook 12-27-2010 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I need to ship my contest quilt to McCall's. I know to track and insure it and all that, but how should I pack it?

It's got machine embroidered pictures. Do you think I should put tissue paper between the folded layers? How squished can it be? Should I put it in a plastic bag just in case the box gets wet??

I've never shipped a quilt and this is a very important one, so please share your tips and advice!!

The picture below is before it went to be quilted...I'll post more pictures later.

Julie

ckcowl 12-27-2010 05:28 PM

check with mccalls again...they usually have very strict instuctions on how they want it packaged and if you add things you shouldn't it might be returned, or if you don't have all the items they want included in the package.
make sure you put your address inside the package too...but follow their rules. each show/contest/ entry place has it's own requirements for sending in some even tell you what carton or packaging you can or can not use.

np3 12-27-2010 05:29 PM

Just me but I always use plastic to protect fabric from a wet box. I also try to roll my quilts and keep folds to a minimum. And I use bubble wrap where I do have to fold. I find this puffs up better than tissue.

UglyCook 12-27-2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
check with mccalls again...they usually have very strict instuctions on how they want it packaged and if you add things you shouldn't it might be returned, or if you don't have all the items they want included in the package.
make sure you put your address inside the package too...but follow their rules. each show/contest/ entry place has it's own requirements for sending in some even tell you what carton or packaging you can or can not use.

Nope, just a date it has to be received by and an address.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-27-2010 06:33 PM

Julie, I highly recommend plastic in case it gets wet.

Cyn 12-27-2010 06:45 PM

I'd definitely do plastic and address on inside!
Very lovely!

jrhboxers 12-28-2010 07:12 AM

When I ship client quilts, I usually line the box with a heavy weight trash bag - I have several sizes of the thick bags. I place the bag in the box, add the quilt/s, place a note with both addresses in the quilt, one on the top and seal the bag. I add another index card on top of the bag and seal the box. I seal all of the seams and cover the addresses completly with packing tape.

I usually ship UPS which let's me track on-line and their additional insurance is very affordable. I ask for signature delivery which is very reasonable also. I have had too many porlems with USPS - so I only go UPS. One good thing about UPS is that their rates are figured by distance and weight.

sewwhat85 12-28-2010 02:23 PM

i would use plastic and tissue

UglyCook 12-28-2010 06:49 PM

Ok, it's sealed in plastic, with bubble wrap between the layers and then the whole thing encased in water proof padding. LOL An egg couldn't break in there!

Off to the post office

AliKat 12-28-2010 07:48 PM

Am not sure if this is correct ... but ... at one of my quilt guild meetings a well known quilter cautioned us to be careful in describing the contents [i.e. 'quilt'] when mailing and insuring. No matter t he amount some shippers consider a quilt a blanket and therefore won't reimburse you fully. Maybe word the description as 'a one of a kind handmade textile art creation.'

ali