Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shipping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shipping-t283251.html)

NJ Quilter 10-24-2016 05:46 PM

No particular experience with shipping quilts specifically but certainly other things. One other thing to keep in mind, particularly for UPS, if you ship FROM a business address TO a business address it will be cheaper. Probably applies to Fed Ex as well but can't say for certain. Both will leave packages on my porch as well unless it is shipped 'signature required'.

yngldy 10-24-2016 06:06 PM

USPS is what I use. Medium is around $14 and large is around $18. The boxes are free, so it would be best to go to PO and pick up both sizes in both shapes (flat and square), to see which fits better. I sometimes use the space bags that you vacuum the air out of to make it fit a box. If you kneel/push on the bag, you can get it flatter, and shape it, if needed. It usually arrives in 2 to 3 days.

cashs_mom 10-24-2016 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 7684584)
I prefer USPS because they will not just drop a pkg at the door. If nobody is home they should leave a notice in the mailbox to pick it up at the PO

Not in my area. I used to have a good mail lady that would put them on the porch behind the geraniums, but she retired and we now have on that sometimes crams them in the mailbox and leaves the door open or just tosses them on the porch. A few weeks ago she left one on the edge of the porch and it got rained on. She has one more chance and I'm calling to report her.

quiltingshorttimer 10-24-2016 07:17 PM

I've used USPS and UPS both with no problems. Whichever you choose, be sure to put the quilt into a sealed plastic bag and then into the box. You can ask for a signature by the recipient with either--just costs a little extra. I always do that just in case--that also prevents the box just being left on the porch.

ckcowl 10-24-2016 11:03 PM

Cheap is not a good option for shipping a quilt. I always use priority mail with extra insurance and delivery confirmation.

pmonaghen 10-25-2016 03:48 AM

I've used USPS and UPS...several years ago, I shipped 3 quilts to my DDIL by UPS, insured for the cost of fabrics, and extra for my time...she had friends who had had tripletts..the box was delievered to their front step...but was then stolen...It took a couple of weeks, but I did get my money back from UPS..the whole amount that I had insured the package for...then had to scramble to remake all 3 quilts...I now ship only to an address where someone will be there to get the package...and sign for it!!!

coopah 10-25-2016 04:27 AM

I use priority mail with the USPS. I never tell them a quilt is inside. If they ask, I tell them it's fabric. I take pictures of the quilt, then the box as it's "loaded" and one when it's packaged and sealed. Paranoid? Maybe. But so far, so good.

toverly 10-25-2016 05:12 AM

I go to a private shipping store that handles UPS, Fed Ex, USPS and someone else. I simply hand over the package and they tell me the cheapest way and when it will arrive. The funny part is sometimes if it is over the weekend, "slow delivery" is just as fast as "fast delivery". When describing what it is, I call it a blanket and insure it. I feel like stating it as a quilt calls attention to it.

KnitnutBZ 10-25-2016 05:17 AM

One thing I have found is the size of the box. I shipped one once and the box was flatter and bigger rather than more compact in size and it cost a lot more. Try to fold your quikt as small as you can.

celwood 10-25-2016 05:52 AM

I have not had any problems with the Post Office. Automatically gives $50 insurance but I always get the additional