Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shopping for fabric - online, local store ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shopping-fabric-online-local-store-t153479.html)

Ilovemydogs 09-16-2011 02:44 PM

I always shop in a store, either lqs, walmart, etc. When I do the shop hop, you have access to a gazillion online sites to buy fabric. I have only ordered fabric twice on line. Only because I was looking for something specific and wasn't in a local store.

My question is, how can you choose the fabric/store? Most of the stores have generally the same lines of fabric (example: Moda) Do you usually just find a favorite store and stick to that? I start looking at the fabric and there are sooo many choices. All I can think is that thank goodness I don't have the room or unlimited budget :lol:

What are your thoughts??

sueisallaboutquilts 09-16-2011 02:49 PM

For me it's been word of mouth and I won't buy anything with excessive shipping- that really turns me off!

quiltsRfun 09-16-2011 02:51 PM

When shopping for a particular line of fabric I search at quiltshops.com to find the best price. I've used several online stores that I found there and haven't had any problems.

fabric_fancy 09-16-2011 02:57 PM

i shop by price and typically that means fabric.com (coupons and free shipping), thousands of bolts, quilt fabric closeout, whittles, etc.

if i'm going to pay $8-$11 a yard for fabric online (basically retail but still cheaper then local) i use equilter because they donate money to a charity of your choice from a list.

i figure if they all have that price might as well give it to the online company that does outreach work.

qbquilts 09-16-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
I always shop in a store, either lqs, walmart, etc. When I do the shop hop, you have access to a gazillion online sites to buy fabric. I have only ordered fabric twice on line. Only because I was looking for something specific and wasn't in a local store.

My question is, how can you choose the fabric/store? Most of the stores have generally the same lines of fabric (example: Moda) Do you usually just find a favorite store and stick to that? I start looking at the fabric and there are sooo many choices. All I can think is that thank goodness I don't have the room or unlimited budget :lol:

What are your thoughts??

I very rarely buy fabric online. When I know I'm headed to Fabric Shack, I will submit an order with "pick up on store on XX date" in the instructions. They'll hold it in the store for you :-). Otherwise, I only buy online if I win a gift certificate someplace or I'm looking for a certain fabric. I use the multi-store search that Fabric Shack belongs to and choose the store with the best price, provided of course that the shipping is reasonable. I hate buying fabric unseen and don't trust the colors on my monitor to be exactly true to life.

kiffie2413 09-16-2011 03:11 PM

I love Connectingthreads.com...and I also have had good luck on Ebay, and here! I don't mind not getting to see in person, and touch the fabric 1st...it is like Christmas when it comes in...I can't wait to tear into that package! That being said, I have some friends who really want to see it and touch it 1st...just a preference thing...what ever makes you happy, I say! When I do order online, I check the ratings of the seller, and I also like to get best deal on shipping...
K

GagaSmith 09-16-2011 03:15 PM

I have recently bought several fabrics on line and been very happy with them. I was looking for fall colors, both prints and blenders. I bought some from Quilters roost, Moda, Henry Glass, Thimbleberries, etc. All were $6 per yard and on sale for 20% off so I got them for $4.80 per yard! They are beautiful.
I would only buy name brand fabrics on line. I have also had good luck with fabric for Missouri Quilt Co. I only buy on sale and often if you buy $35 or $50 you get free shipping.

Deb watkins 09-16-2011 03:20 PM

I have made stock in Connecting Threads go way up!! I love their line of the Quilters Candy.

katier825 09-16-2011 03:21 PM

I signed up for the Fab Shop Hop a while back and discovered many places new to me. Some I liked, some I didn't for various reasons (high shipping, slow or not good customer service, etc.) I have my favorites I shop at, and still try new ones sometimes. I shop ebay if the deals are good. Most times you can find better deals in the online quilt shops. I have my favorite brands and am often looking for something in particular. I have only once been a little disappointed in my choice, but that's nothing considering how much I shop online! It will get used someday, probably for a quilt back.

if you are looking for a particular fabric, start with a good search engine, such as:

http://www.quiltshops.com/

I go to Advanced Search, and click on Thumbnails so I can quickly search to see who has the fabric in the color I'm looking for. Then I check the prices, shipping and decide from there who to buy from.

Annaquilts 09-16-2011 03:24 PM

Our local quilt shop does not cary Civil War reproductions any more or 1930 reproductions. Also their sellection is limited and often when there is a key fabric from a certain line it is gone before I can get to it so online I go.