Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shopping in my sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shopping-my-sewing-room-t316752.html)

sewingitalltogether 11-02-2021 06:19 AM

Shopping in my sewing room

Ok, so I spent 2 weeks trying to straighten up my sewing room. I have continued to buy more fabric until I am having trouble getting in. So, I pulled out a project that is about 5 years old. I don’t like the colors and I’m wondering if that’s why I quit. I need more fabric. But before I go out, I’m going shopping in my own sewing room. I may mess up what I’ve just straightened up.

Julienm1 11-02-2021 06:44 AM

I've started shopping my stash, too. Found some real treasures and a few clunkers. I decided I can no longer bring home any dontated fabric home when I go to my PL meetings. Way to many goodies. However, I have donated lots of What In The World fabric to a different quilt group and PL.

I've found I make a HUGE mess when I start sewing a new project. I have problems putting left overs back where they should go.
So I've decided if I have left overs, donate. Hopefully that should help with my organizational challenge...in my dreams.

Iceblossom 11-02-2021 07:22 AM

I was very happy collecting and buying fabric for years and I'm a pretty productive quilter. But I was diagnosed with a deteriorating vision condition a number of years back and finally had to admit that I had more fabric than I would ever use. In the "she with the most fabric wins" I had already placed and that was good enough.

I still love quilting fabric and textiles in general but I decided to work with what I have and as part of that, I did finally join the Fabric Moratorium thread over here. There are a number of us who share both our fabric using projects, philosophy, and temptations all on the idea of shopping our own stash first -- Julie's already found us, maybe you'll come visit too.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...m-t313678.html

I know right now I am having a really hard time not buying fabric.... everything is so tempting and delicious....

Snooze2978 11-02-2021 07:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I stopped buying fabric right after I came home from a quilt bus tour back in Oct 2018. Came home with 60+ partial bolts of fabric with no where to put them. I talked my sister into going on the tour with me though she doesn't sew. She can now understand how I can buy fabric with no project in mind. She even bought fabric and again, she doesn't sew. What does that tell you. She loves to come over to my house and just pet the fabrics. She's also my sounding board when I need another opinion on fabric selection on my projects. I've had to put those partial bolts in boxes alongside my cutting table, under my pressing station and even under the quilt frame. Plus I've got so many scraps I tend to try to use in my quilts as I've come to love scrappy quilt patterns.

Here's a view of just some of my fabrics as it's flowed into the other room too.

petthefabric 11-02-2021 11:27 AM

Are you still in control or are you ready to say, Hi my name is ......... and I'm a fabriholic?

juliasb 11-02-2021 11:30 AM

I have been shopping from my stash now for several year. I will occasionally have to shop for backing fabrics but have a fair stash of that too. I have enough fabric to last another 140 years and then some! I best start using some of it.

Jingle 11-02-2021 11:52 AM

Your fabric choices are endless. gorgeous colors.

I am using from my stash mostly. I buy remnants To go with what I already have. Some backs. I am going to stop buy all fabrics and use them up.

Onebyone 11-02-2021 12:15 PM

I don't mind buying new or using what I have. Whatever is easiest at the time.

cashs_mom 11-02-2021 04:10 PM

I"ve been doing lots of scrappy and mostly using what I have. I did buy a Christmas panel that was just too cute and some fabrics to go with it. That was a big splurge for me lately. Mostly I've been buying backing, batting and a few pieces to go with what I already have.

SallyS 11-02-2021 05:53 PM

Snooze2978, my husband used to look at my fabric and say "An artist needs her palette." And your fabric looks like a beautiful painting.