Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Short Arm Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/short-arm-quilting-t45051.html)

mamamjs 05-06-2010 08:29 AM

Think that is about right! I have a Husqvarna quilting machine with stitch regulator on a 12 foot quilting frame.

Pam 05-06-2010 11:27 AM

OK, I have a confession to make. My Mom GAVE me the short arm and frame! She wanted more freedom, too and bought herself an Innovus long arm. I am more than willing to put up with the tight space, tons more than my Bernina, tugging, pushing, pulling, sweating, cursing, fussing an queen size quilt into my Bernina.

I love a bargain, but FREE!!! Whoohoo!

pennijanine 05-06-2010 06:10 PM

I have the Viking and the frame. I have not used it to much, I guess I am a chicken! BUT, once I learn it, look out! I am now looking at the longarm Viking that will go on the same frame. Penni

Pam 05-06-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I hope I understood this right-I'm using just my regular sewing machine. Sorry if if you were talking about sewing with a frame.

Jan, a short arm machine is a little larger than a standard home sewing machine. Mine is set up on a frame. I will look for a picture I can post.

I guess one of the reasons I am hesitating on using the short arm is because I am finally happy with my FMQ on my domestic machine, now I have to learn a new skill, just being lazy.

mamamjs 05-06-2010 06:18 PM

You're absolutely right! Don't get me wrong, I am blessed to have a quilting system that I can use rather than try to use the sewing machine. And I simply love the overall meandering pattern, as well as others. However, I am also interested in the absolutely fabulous other designs which require larger quilting areas. I am not clever enough to design my own. Not gifted in that area, which is the reason why I am excited about this site to hear suggestions and successes of all other quilters!!

Pam 05-06-2010 06:31 PM

"Sorry, no success stories yet", she said as she sheepishly hung her head. But I am gonna do it!! I promise.

weatheread 06-01-2010 07:05 PM

I get my Janome on a little gracie frame tomorrow my sister and I are going in together to buy The lady gave us a very good price can hardly wait to get started

QuiltQtrs 11-01-2010 07:03 PM

I have a Singer short (mid)arm quilting machine, with 10 ft. table, and
can do 90" width quilts. Stitching area is 5-6" tall designs, row by row
or Pantographs. If you want to do individual blocks, Just tape your
design (draw design on paper of same size as your block) to the table, and
align it with the quilt top block as you stitch across the top. You may have
to divide the design into 2 rows , but it will work! Just takes a little practice
and patience.

geckogirl 11-01-2010 08:19 PM

I have been practicing my machine quilting on little scraps and I have to say that I have been doing really well with free motion without having to buy a walking foot.

I go suuuuuuupeeeeer slow but it works :-)

weatheread 11-02-2010 02:45 AM

Have you done a quilt on your frame yet I have done a few baby and lap quilts on mine I have a queen size ready to go on the frame but it took me 2 yrs to piece and just a little nervous tell me me any tips if you have them