Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should Have Listened! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-have-listened-t103842.html)

cctx. 02-28-2011 02:36 PM

Oh goodness, all the Pros and Cons of smoking......

We all smoke at my house, including myself.
I was raised in a house of smokers, every member in the family smoked from rolled tobacco, Bugler, Lucky strikes, Winston, and now the best quality cigarettes are Marlboro 100s, what I smoke for many years now.

My grandma is 98 years old and still smokes daily.
My great grandma smoked daily and died when she was 86 years old.
Both quilters and never complained off cigarette smoke, washed their quilts and air dried them.

My two cents is: Wash the quilt or fabric, hang it on the line and you're good to go.

sewgull 02-28-2011 02:45 PM

Hang quilt outside, fresh air works. It may take hanging outside for several days.

LivelyLady 02-28-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Since they have both been mentioned, just a word of caution, do NOT use bleach AND ammonia. Mixing the two will kill you. That's knowledge that people once had, but I'm finding more and more (maybe with the removal of home ec classes?) that people are unaware.

Good luck with the smell!

I hope everyone heeds your advice. Years ago a woman did die from the fumes after putting bleach and ammonia in the toilet bowl to clean it.

DogHouseMom 02-28-2011 04:55 PM

I am a smoker and I can smell smoke on a person, house, fabric etc. I have non-smoking rooms in my house - the bedroom and the sewing room are two of them. I never get a smoking room at a hotel because they reek of smoke and I can't sleep. I've brought my quilts to work to have non-smokers sniff them for smoke - they passed :)

Can't believe a professional long-arm person would smoke around her customers products. That's incredibly rude.

Amonia ... just one word of caution about amonia. To a dog (and possibly cats too) amonia smells like urine. This is why you NEVER clean the area a dog soiled with amonia - to the dog - it smells like the proper place to potty. So if you wash your stuff in amonia and have dogs, don't be surprised if your dog thinks it's a great place to potty (especially the boys, and in particular intact boys, as they tend to "mark").

19angel52 03-01-2011 03:58 AM

Married to an ex-smoker (thank God - it's been years since he quit) I know exactly what you mean....! Frankly, am kind of surprised that someone who performs a service as personal as quilting wouldn't be cautious about their habit. Hope you can get the smell out easily enough....and no, you're certainly not being picky!

glowworm 03-01-2011 04:03 AM

Wash it but hang it out to dry. I have experienced that putting them in the dryer doesn't work. Fresh air on wet fabric works.

laurlync 03-01-2011 04:05 AM

Baking soda in the wash water has worked for me in the past when I have gotten clothes from a family member that smoked.

Glenda m 03-01-2011 04:15 AM

Maybe you should mention something to the lady that did your quilt. She might be losing other customers because of this and doesn't realize it. And then, maybe she just doesn't care.

Mattee 03-01-2011 04:58 AM

It actually happens with some regularity. Usually it's people trying to get something very clean.

Originally Posted by LivelyLady

Originally Posted by Mattee
Since they have both been mentioned, just a word of caution, do NOT use bleach AND ammonia. Mixing the two will kill you. That's knowledge that people once had, but I'm finding more and more (maybe with the removal of home ec classes?) that people are unaware.

Good luck with the smell!

I hope everyone heeds your advice. Years ago a woman did die from the fumes after putting bleach and ammonia in the toilet bowl to clean it.

lclang 03-01-2011 05:01 AM

Wash, lay out on a sheet on your lawn (nice weather of course) and cover with another sheet. Let it dry. No fading, no odor.