Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should Have Listened! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-have-listened-t103842.html)

karate lady 03-01-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
my postal carrier smokes in her truck....I have made complaint after complaint, and told to suck it up....I have a business that deals in fabric...I get envelopes filled with fabric all the time...and if you think it is hard to get the odor out of cotton, try getting it out of ultrasuede...it aint easy...at all...

who are you complaining to.. the driver or her boss. If her boss, go higher.......

biscuitqueen 03-01-2011 06:25 PM

I would be careful of chemicals, viegar works wounders and is natural, it will also clean stains in carpet that have been there for a long time in most cases. Also takes out cat urine.

Annaquilts 03-01-2011 06:28 PM

Yuck! No never use that long arm quilter again.

lynnsim 03-01-2011 06:37 PM

My niece in law swears by Coke. I did try it once and it worked.

Scakes 03-01-2011 07:18 PM

I agree with trying the ammonia. As stinky as it is, it does a really good job removing odors in the wash.

luvTooQuilt 03-01-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
as a former smoker for many years I can say, no they do not realize how strong and offensive the smell is, when you quit you are amazed at how much more taste food has and I seem to have a keener sense of smell, it also makes your hair yellow! now when I get around a smoker I really feel guilty about my poor little kids and everybody else I tried to kill! glad I finally wised up.
anyway, the quilts could probably use a good washing and that WILL take out the smell

Ditto. Now I use the money I would of spent on buying cigarets on fabric!! Definitly better for my health!!

luckylindy333 03-01-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
My aunt is always shocked that I don't want to sit too close to her or visit her at her house but I'm really sensitive to smoke and she (and her house!) reek like an ashtray. If I'm in her house for more than 5 minutes, I get a terrible headache. Hopefully one of the above ideas will work. I know Febreze advertises that they remove odors from fabric and Tide comes with a Febreze additive now I think.

All Febreze does is cover up odors. I really don't like that perfumey smell. I like the ammonia idea a lot better because it gets rid of the odor causers.

Pat G 03-01-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by slstitcher
I also use ammonia to soak my stovetop grates in. I hate to clean those things and my FIL taught me this.

Yrs. ago I learned that soaking rings in a little ammonia loosens the dirt around stones & can be removed by running under rinse water & using a soft toothbrush. Makes them sparkle like new.

rob529 03-01-2011 09:10 PM

Try Febreeze. I love that stuff.

Robin in TX

CarrieAnne 03-01-2011 09:14 PM

Wow, coke? It sure has alot of uses, lol, I heard you can clean toilets with it too!