Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I add flowers on the borders? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-add-flowers-borders-t241740.html)

nanna-up-north 02-22-2014 10:28 AM

Should I add flowers on the borders?

2 Attachment(s)
This is my first OBW and I finally decided on how to position the hexis.... well, it's the best I could come up with. And, when I measured across it was 50" x 60". So, I added borders.... the skinny pink, the 3" original fabric and then, a 9" background color. So, my question is, should I add some applique flowers in the border or leave it plain. I'm showing you another quilt that I made with flowers in the border. I'm thinking of something like that one to give it some zip. What would you all suggest?

crafty pat 02-22-2014 10:32 AM

If it were mine I would add flowers. It is a beautiful quilt, you do good work.

MartiMorga 02-22-2014 10:38 AM

beautiful quilts! I love the flowers in the borders - so I would add them.

PaperPrincess 02-22-2014 10:39 AM

Do you have any left over hexagons? I would experiment with either cutting them down to a smaller hexagon or cutting the flower shape out of the hexagon and using these as the flowers rather than a solid. Use them with the vines & leaves.
I love the way it is coming out so far.

Crqltr 02-22-2014 10:39 AM

I think something in the border would be great, your aplique on the other quilt is pretty! The obw is beautiful, I love how you put the original fabric in the quilt so you can see what started it.

BrendaK 02-22-2014 10:42 AM

Beautiful quilt. IMHO I don't think that I would do flowers on the border. I would be afraid that it would take away from the super center. Maybe some smaller hexi's. That said the flowers on the second quilt are lovely. You did a great job on this quilt and I know that whatever you end up doing will only add to the beauty. BrendaK

Tartan 02-22-2014 11:16 AM

It is lovely the way it is. Your flower border is pretty though too. I think I would lay out the border with flowers formed from the same fabric hexagons and see how I liked it.

Jim's Gem 02-22-2014 01:31 PM

With such a wide outside border, I personally would add something to it. That "something" could be a special quilting design in said border. I usually avoid making any borders wider than 5 1/2 to 6 inches.
Can you make something with your fabric used in the center that show's what the fabric is?

Nammie to 7 02-22-2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem (Post 6590149)
With such a wide outside border, I personally would add something to it. That "something" could be a special quilting design in said border. I usually avoid making any borders wider than 5 1/2 to 6 inches.
Can you make something with your fabric used in the center that show's what the fabric is?

I agree -- to me the plain wide border draws your eye first -- with some applique it would highlight your quilt and draw your eye in.

dunster 02-22-2014 02:17 PM

I think your flowers on the border of the birds in the air quilt are so well done - I would call for an encore! More flowers in the border please.