Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I buy used Janome 330e embroidery machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-buy-used-janome-330e-embroidery-machine-t84596.html)

PghPat 12-22-2010 04:12 PM

I just looked at a used Janome 330e embroidery machine. It is an aquaintence that has it and I know with the sewing machines she has and the work she does that it was well taken care of. She just went from being a snow bird to selling her home up North and just doesn't have room for all the sewing machines, equipment, etc. She has everything that came with the machine very neatly packaged. The ONLY thing missing is the card with all the extra designs. I know nothing about embroidery machines or how much it would cost to buy patterns. She is selling the machine for 350. How much would it cost for me to replace the disc that her daughter took to use up North on her embroidery machine.

I hate to keep rambling on but I am a new quilter and wonder if this is something I would really use. I feel like it is a very good price - other than not knowing about the pricing of the patterns, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I told her I'd get back to her tomorrow.

Thank you for your help! Pat

amma 12-22-2010 04:20 PM

I would check to see the price of the embroideries, and are they still readily available?
Can you buy a card reader for this machine, so you have more embroidery design options? :D:D:D

Yarn or Fabric 12-22-2010 05:02 PM

I am not familiar with a 330.. is it the 350e or the 300e? I tried to find it on Janome's website and came up empty.

PghPat 12-22-2010 06:06 PM

OOOPS!!! - I meant to say 300e. I guess there is no way to edit the subject title, huh?

Yarn or Fabric 12-23-2010 04:02 AM

If I were you, I'd call the nearest dealer to find out how much it would cost for the memory cards for it. You need a ata compact flash adaptor.

You can buy your own designs or get them for free - there are a ton out there. I will say that chances are, you would not have wanted the designs she had unless they were really good ones but that's a mute point now, aye?

I am not sure how much that adaptor or more memory cards cost. If I were you, I would ask the lady if she has at least that adaptor thingy...

Do a search here on the site for the 300e and email a few people to see how much the memory cards are and if you need to replace the adaptor gadget how much that might be.

The Janome is a good one. I started off with the 350e which is the upgraded version of the 300e.

They still sell the 300e... I believe it sells for about $800 or $900 so it is a great deal - You will need at least two of the cards and one of the adaptors. It looks like you can get the adaptors online fairly cheap. You'd probably be spending another $100 in cards and adaptors.

Start stock piling the free designs - emblibrary has them once a month as does Urban Threads (they have much more modern/stylish designs for the most part) I think it's a good deal especially if she is throwing in the threads, stabilizers, etc. The thread and stabilizers will cost a small fortune to get up and going but you can get great deals on ebay. I have always used polyx40 thread since it is what my local Janome dealer stands by - you can get great deals on it online for entire sets of colors. The stabilizers are must haves. You can not embroider much without them... They can be costly but it is necessary.

PghPat 12-23-2010 04:27 AM

Thank you sooooo much for all your help - I don't know what to call you by name - LOL. She does have the adapter. I went to look at it and came home to think about it and talk it over with the better half and when we decided it was a good deal it was too late to go get it. We will go this afternoon. I am sure there is no thread with it so looks like I'll spend a bundle to even get started playing. Too bad we are going out for dr appt and will be right past Joann's and Walmart this morning but don't know what I'm looking for. I have a 40% off coupon for Joann's. Any suggestions? Oh, and tell me what kind of stabilizers I need to buy - have never used them. I am a new quilter.

Thanks again. Pat

PghPat 12-23-2010 04:31 AM

I'm doing the happy dance knowing that I will be able to get "some" free patterns. There are some patterns that came on the machine so at least I will have some to play with.

Yarn or Fabric 12-23-2010 04:37 AM

Ooooh! In fact...! I just saw yesterday a post about free patterns. There is a site giving away for free their retired sets.... they are mostly kiddie stuff which is why I don't personally shop there. Rarely do they have anything that I like since I don't do cutesy wootsy... but if you have kids or grandkids that like cutesy, start your free collection now. www.bunnycup.com Her designs are known to sew out nicely if you like her style....

Also... sign up for Emblibrary right away = and in your profile, set yourself up for their birthday club. You get $10 to spend in their site during your birthday month. Free is cool.

There are tooonnnnnssss of free designs out there. Sewforum.com has a free designs section... most are from people learning to digitize their own so the results are not always spectacular (always test sew a design out first if you are not sure of where it came from..)

edited to add...
Also join up with embroidery garden's newsletter. She has a free project every month in her yahoo group. She has some freebies here. Her stuff sews out really nicely as well... and she does quite a few in the hoop projects which are always fun.
http://www.embroiderygarden.com

PghPat 12-24-2010 05:18 AM

I'm still in the dark with my embroidery machine. I picked it up yesterday. It has everything that came with it but the memory card. The adapter is there. Right now I'm not interested in buying lots of patterns. I just want to learn the machine and will use the ones that came on it - as soon as I read enough to know what I'm doing.

My question is can I buy a blank card to put in the adapter (that came with my buy). I have downloaded a couple patterns just to see how that is done - thank you "Yarn or Fabric" for the links to free patterns. So if you can buy blank cards where do I find them. All I can find are cards with patterns already on them. What are they called? How much are they, etc.

Thanks so much! With the help of all you ladies maybe I'll get started embroidering soon.

Pat

Yarn or Fabric 12-24-2010 05:34 AM

I would suggest doing a search here to see who has that machine or contacting a dealership or janome. I did not own that machine. I had the 350e which had features I liked - usb transfer, auto threader, etc.