Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I Call This Quilting Anxiety? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-call-quilting-anxiety-t158618.html)

PumpkinSundae 10-07-2011 03:52 AM

Hi...I am new at quilting and have several jelly rolls, a few layer cakes, some charm packs as well as some yardage. I get excited about 20 different patterns (actually more like 50 different patterns) that I want to try but sometimes I feel like I sit there in a stupor trying to decide which pattern should I use with this jelly roll, these charm packs, etc. It takes me a long time and I am already holding off using certain jelly rolls because I love the colors and am waiting for that 'special' pattern to come along....as if there aren't a hundred already!!!

I think this perdicament could be added to the list of things that trigger peri-menopause hot flashes.

Nanamoms 10-07-2011 04:03 AM

Oh, yes, I think this may be a chronic condition for new quilters. I just play with my fabric.

LeeAnn 10-07-2011 04:19 AM

So that's what's causing my hot flashes! lol. I feel your pain.

1234Irene 10-07-2011 04:25 AM

Who knew..... Quilters anxiety = hot flashes.... Hmmmmm, guess I need to quilt more to git rid of them, lol

Honeynga 10-07-2011 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae
Hi...I am new at quilting and have several jelly rolls, a few layer cakes, some charm packs as well as some yardage. I get excited about 20 different patterns (actually more like 50 different patterns) that I want to try but sometimes I feel like I sit there in a stupor trying to decide which pattern should I use with this jelly roll, these charm packs, etc. It takes me a long time and I am already holding off using certain jelly rolls because I love the colors and am waiting for that 'special' pattern to come along....as if there aren't a hundred already!!!

I think this perdicament could be added to the list of things that trigger peri-menopause hot flashes.

I could have written this ! I'm new to quilting and absolutely love the planning, buying, acquiring and reading about quilting ! HOWEVER, I have great anxiety about getting started ! I think what causes the anxiety is that I'm so afraid of messing up another top and wasting all that fabric. Too, I feel so overwhelmed at the projects i've acquired I get where I can't make a decision, other than to get on QB and see what others are doing !

Can't say hot flashes are the cause since I'm done with all that......my excuse this week is that I just moved last week and still don't have things sorted.....so why am I not sorting things now ?

Getting ready to head out to several yard sales; I did see one that advertised a treadle machine...that is where I'll head first, wish me luck !

scrappy2 10-07-2011 04:54 AM

I hear what you are saying and it's me too!

SueSew 10-07-2011 04:57 AM

Oh, truly a dilemma but fun! That's how I feel sometimes, too.
At some point either there will be a deadline, or I will feel guilty buying more fabric to 'audition', or I will get a brilliant idea, and I stop dithering and grab the cutter.
But there is always the next quilt, and I won't get to the next one if I don't make up my mind on this one. You know?
Does the fabric call to you at 3am when you are having 'power surges'?
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

dar627742 10-07-2011 05:25 AM

welcome &good luck!!!!
dar

MawMaw B 10-07-2011 05:32 AM

Welcome to the quiltinghood. Was going to say sisterhood, but the guys would get me!

soccertxi 10-07-2011 06:31 AM

I do this 'stand and stare' at my fabric too..and I have been quilting since the mid 80s! I try to make one decision at a time. First I pick the pattern. Then maybe the border (I often pick colors for the body of the quilt from the border fabric...even if its not enough for the border). Then I set the timer for 15 mins...and start cutting. Or with a jelly roll pattern maybe sewing for 15. Usually at the end of 15, I'm hooked. If not, I go do something else and come back and do another 15.