Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I just give up?!?!?!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-just-give-up-t150052.html)

grandjan 09-03-2011 09:40 AM

You know, I've quilted quilts that I thought were a disaster and, like yours, too much to unsew. That said, I've picked out miles and miles of stitches over the years. Sometimes, you just have to regard it as a learning experience and move on. One of my "disasters" hangs over the back of a rocker in my living room. Wish I had five bucks for everyone who has picked it up and admired it over the years. It was quilted in thread that was so very wrong for the quilt--way too dark and the stitching is clumsy. Still, after several launderings and using it to cover my legs on cold winter evenings, I've grown to love it and accept that they all just won't look the way you want them to. That's part of being a quilter as well.

Willa 09-03-2011 10:18 AM

No artist has a masterpiece in his/her craft with their first "stroke". Some do pick things up faster than others but it takes time and practice for all.

Painiacs 09-03-2011 10:31 AM

Don't give up!!!! Keep on swimming swimming swimming!!

running1 09-03-2011 10:39 AM

Don't give up... keep practicing and you'll improve! I'm not much of a FMQer, but I love quilting...

Don't give up!!! And remember what Furza Flyin said, "If you don't have to un-sew you're not a real quilter." so wise... sigh...

lindy 09-03-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Keep trying. We learn from mistakes. Sometime I think I am a professional ripper.

Right on! Remember the old 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again'. It may sound corny, but it works. I can finally do counted cross stitch without freaking out. Stick with it and try some fmq on practice fabric.

blueangel 09-03-2011 11:43 AM

Everyone makes mistakes. Don't give up.

ube quilting 09-03-2011 03:35 PM

I would let it go and start another quilt. What's done is done so why worry over it. Make him another. It all goes under the catagory of learning. You are not alone!
peace

Shelley 09-03-2011 03:42 PM

When I have to remove stitches from large areas, I use a technique called 'skinning'. Basically, you peel the top back, find the threads in the batting, cut those threads, and keep gently pulling the top back, exposing more stitches.

FMQ is not an easy technique. I did one quilt, decided that I didn't like it, and started sending quilts to a LA quilter to be completed. I spent my time learning new techniques: paper piecing, Y seams, applique and on and on. There's a lot to learn without trying to take on the quilting part, too. When my LA quilter retired, 8 years later, I was ready then to learn to use a longarm. Don't feel like you have to do it all to be a quilter!!

Hang in there, girl - this is an art form that takes time.

pocoellie 09-03-2011 05:07 PM

Please don't give up. Free motion quilting takes practice, practice, practice and more practice. Some people though seem to be a natural at it, unfortunately I'm NOT one of them, but keep on practicing.

M.I.Late 09-03-2011 05:16 PM

What helps me it to think of puzzle pieces. If you have to lay some out on the table ... do that. The hardest thing for me was that some of my stitches would be pulled because I was moving the quilt faster than I was pushing with my foot. That's the part that is hardest go time for me. But, like everyone said, make a sample sandwich and practice on those. When you're done - you'll have some pot holders and trivets that just need a binding and that's not a bad thing...
Hugs from one quilter to another!