Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I label all my quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-label-all-my-quilts-t233876.html)

Misty's Mom 11-03-2013 12:33 AM

Should I label all my quilts

Right now I label all my quilts. But, what about if I decide to donate one later? Aren't there some organizations that don't want your name on the quilt ? I embroider my label on the backing so it can't be removed

ckcowl 11-03-2013 02:49 AM

if you are going to donate a quilt you should check with the organization to see what their *policies/recommendations* are concerning labeling...most of them would like at least City, State and fiber content included on a label- often it is the quilter's choice to include personal information- you could always just add initials if you wanted to stay anonymous. it is becoming more necessary to always include fiber content (top, bottom, batting) in labels- so many people have allergies & want to know what their bedding is made of. each organization does have their own policies though- so you should always check there first.

LindaR 11-03-2013 06:45 AM

I am very bad about labeling...I'm about 90% behind LOL

Sneed 11-03-2013 07:37 AM

I always put labels with my name and town on my quilts, and many are for donations. I often get thank you notes from someone who ends up with one of my quilts and they seem very happy to be able to thank the donor. Years from now those labels will be read by people who are looking at these quilts wondering who made it and sometimes thinking that "this woman must have been nuts to have spent her time cutting fabric up and putting it back together!!"

appliquequiltdesigns 11-03-2013 05:36 PM

I am making a baby quilt for my daughter to give as a gift to a co-worker. What should I put on the label? Since I don't know the co-worker I am not sure I should put my name.

quiltsRfun 11-03-2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR (Post 6384086)
I am very bad about labeling...I'm about 90% behind LOL

Me too. But I'm getting better.

Mazda 11-03-2013 06:19 PM

I would label it.

gramajo 11-05-2013 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns (Post 6385207)
I am making a baby quilt for my daughter to give as a gift to a co-worker. What should I put on the label? Since I don't know the co-worker I am not sure I should put my name.

I'd put something to the effect of "Given to (recipient) by (giver) Made by (your name) of (city/state) and year made".

jlm5419 11-05-2013 08:10 AM

I firmly believe in labeling quilts. My sister sent a quilt she made to me for quilting, so I asked her what she wanted on the label. She didn't want a label, because it was for her own personal use. I talked her into it, because years from now, after she is long gone, one of her grands will be thrilled to know Gram made it and it will become an heirloom treasure. Of course, I also included "quilted by". She was quite pleased with the result.

ShowMama 11-05-2013 10:52 AM

I say "YES". I'm a firm believer that every quilt should be labeled. Even if it's a charity quilt, you could just make a label that says "Donated to (whatever group or event) by (your name)", and then add the year. It is highly possible that the quilt will be passed on to someone else long after your donation and there will always be another person who would like to know who made it. Or even better.......it could be hanging in a museum someday and there should be at least a little information as to it's origin. I'm hoping one of my quilts ends up that way. Well, I can dream about it anyway!