Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I press my binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-press-my-binding-t29064.html)

diogirl 11-21-2009 06:25 AM

I'm going to do bindind where I sew edges on theback of the quilt and then fold over to the front and stitch the fold edge down. Not sure what that method is called...Do I need to press that binding first giving it a sharp edge or leave the edge a little full or puffy looking? Thanks
:)

Lostn51 11-21-2009 07:18 AM

I might be wrong here because I am still a newbie but I always press the binding with lots of starch. Then I sew the raw edge to the front side of the quilt and then fold over to the back and sew.

I am sure you and I both will get some great tips on this thread so I glad you asked it!!

Billy

patty48 11-21-2009 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I might be wrong here because I am still a newbie but I always press the binding with lots of starch. Then I sew the raw edge to the front side of the quilt and then fold over to the back and sew.

I am sure you and I both will get some great tips on this thread so I glad you asked it!!

Billy

This is the way I do it also. In fact I'm binding a tube table runner right now.

diogirl 11-21-2009 07:25 AM

hmmm I didn't think about sewing the raw edges to the front and folding over to the back... does that make it look better in the front? thanks.

Lostn51 11-21-2009 07:26 AM

I bound 2 quilts yesterday and will have 2 more (a king and queen size) in the next week after quilting them.

So lets just say I am going to be getting a little practice to say the least!!!!

Billy

Pam B 11-21-2009 07:28 AM

I most definitely press my binding! I generally stitch it to the back and bring it to the front. I guess because that is the way someone at my LQS store taught me to do it when I first started quilting. I don't think it makes much difference one way, or the other. It is your quilt, after all. If I doing a wall-hanging, or something smaller, I will often times use one of my machines decorative stitches. When I am doing a large quilt, I like to machine stitch to the back and hand stitch when I bring it to the front. A very good excuse to watch DVDs while I am doing it. And, actually, that is what I should be doing right now instead of playing on the computer. I have a Xmas quilt to bind that I want to use on our bed this season.

patty48 11-21-2009 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by diogirl
hmmm I didn't think about sewing the raw edges to the front and folding over to the back... does that make it look better in the front? thanks.

Absolutely...nice crisp edge on the front. Sometimes the binding can be a bit wonky because of the batting not being even. I'd rather have a wonky back than a wonky front.

Eddie 11-21-2009 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by patty48

Originally Posted by diogirl

Absolutely...nice crisp edge on the front. Sometimes the binding can be a bit wonky because of the batting not being even. I'd rather have a wonky back than a wonky front.

Agreed. I always sew the binding raw edge to the front and then wrap it the back. I then stitch-in-th-ditch on the front along the edge of the binding so that it just catches the creased edge of the binding on the back and secures it. I like to do a 3/8" wide binding, so that means I cut the binding strips 2 7/8" wide.

mpspeedy 11-21-2009 07:48 AM

Ditto to that last posting. I usually cut my binding at least 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches then fold in half and press before sewing it to the front and handfinishing the back. I also don't pin it I just roll it as I go. I believe this is called the French method. I usualy use the straight of grain unless I will be doing rounded edges etc. It saves a lot of peiceing.

Esqmommy 11-21-2009 07:52 AM

I starch the living heck out of mine. It can practically stand up all by itself!