Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I quit or just give away. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-quit-just-give-away-t307538.html)

Jazzy'sMom 10-20-2019 09:17 AM

Should I quit or just give away.

I have been trying to sell a few of my quilts and I have done pretty good. I am thinking of giving my baby quilts, lap quilts either to a homeless shelter or the nursing home. Sometimes I just think I will quit. My husband thinks I should not give anything away since I put so much times in each one. He is not selfish but thinks I have worked to hard to just give away. Do you all keep a bunch of your quilts, sell them or give away. I am needing to get rid of some. Thank you all in advance. Love this group.

Moira in N.E. England 10-20-2019 09:58 AM

I quilt and give away - to a children’s hospital charity and a local cancer charity.

I have enjoyed quilting for the last few years but we only have one of my quilts - a small throw - on the bed in our spare bedroom. We do not use a quilt on our bed nor do we have throws or cushions on our sofa or chairs as my husband doesn’t like them.

Quilting is my hobby. I would rather give my completed projects away than store them in a cupboard.

toverly 10-20-2019 10:06 AM

I am much happier giving them away. I look at it as it's my hobby and I spend happy hours making quilts. The fact that it is usable is a perk to my hobby.

BonnieJP 10-20-2019 10:17 AM

I have kept a few of my quilts and gave some to friends/relatives. I've also made several for Quilts of Valor. I too consider quilting a hobby that I really enjoy, so I don't mind giving them away.

juliasb 10-20-2019 10:31 AM

The majority of my quilts have been given as gifts to loved ones. I keep a few for myself. Every room in the house has at least one of my quilts. Quilts that I have sold were special orders. The client chose a pattern, colors and even fabrics I had the joy of making the quilt. I have a habit of making a duplicate of most of the quilts I sold only because I was in love with the pattern.

nativetexan 10-20-2019 10:45 AM

Oh i'm slow now but have given away most of the quilts I've made over the years. Some to friends but others to charity for those who need them.

tuppermern 10-20-2019 10:51 AM

I honestly don't make a lot of quilts---but I sew for a few different charities. Chemo centers love small quilts--it's always so cold there. Homeless shelters---veterans hospitals.....it gives such a sense of pride & satisfaction to give to those less fortunate. Makes me count my blessings!

QuiltnNan 10-20-2019 11:02 AM

I quilt for the joy of quilting. Quilts bring joy to others. Life has been good to me and I'm giving back now that I have the wherewithal to do so. I guess you and your DH will have to come to an agreement for a happy home.

meyert 10-20-2019 11:06 AM

I have sold some quilts, but I don't quilt to sell. I am afraid that I would feel frustrated and want to give up. I sew and donate most of my quilts.. then others are gifted. If i can sell some that's cool, but I don't expect that

Iceblossom 10-20-2019 11:07 AM

It is the process of quilting I enjoy, I give away far more than I keep. Look at it this way, we do not need to be paid to perform in order to enjoy singing. Quilting is something I do for joy and for me attaching a monetary value to it would spoil the experience.