Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I repair this Bernina?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-repair-bernina-t99968.html)

MaryAnnMc 02-15-2011 05:38 AM

Friends, I am heartbroken. The other day, my Bernina 930 started hissing and popping and spewing thick white smoke. The repairman called, and said the board was fried. :o( It will cost $275 to ship it to Bernina (can't be fixed locally, even by an authorized repairman).

The truly sad thing is, I just bought this about 5 months ago from a dear friend for $700. It was well maintained, and I had it serviced as soon as I bought it.

I never thought I could be so attached to a piece of machinery, but I cried when it happened. The question is, should i fix it? Look for another?? Does anyone have an experience with a fried board???

sweet 02-15-2011 05:40 AM

I'd suggest getting it fixed. If it caused you to shed a tear, fixing it will make you smile (alot)!

mpspeedy 02-15-2011 05:45 AM

Hi, MY 1260 didn't smoke etc. but I did have to have the board replaced. It cost about the same but I have gotten at least 5 more years of sewing out of it and it is still going. I have purchased another Bernina sewing machine a 230 last year primarily to take on my retreat as it weighs a good ten lbs. less than my 1260. Irionically it has more stitches than my older favorite. It also cost half what the a third of what the 1260 did but I had to spend another $300 to have it upgraded with a knee bar and foot pedal that did the same things as my old friend. If the computer board goes again I will probably have to give up on my old friend as I doubt the parts will be available. In the meantime it keeps plugging along.

Liz aka Helen 02-15-2011 05:47 AM

Find another repairman see if you can get a second opinion regarding, not being able to repair on site. Where do you have to ship it for $275.00? the moon?or does that include repair?

SherryLea 02-15-2011 05:48 AM

Compare what a new one just like it would cost to what it will cost to repair and then take into condsideration that you would have a warranty on the new one if something happen. If you cannot afford a new one right now then I would get it fixed and hope nothing else goes wrong on it.
It's a hard decision but we all have a lot of money invested in our machines and we also spend lots of time with them so of course we get attached to them. Think seriously about it and get back on your way to quilting

MaryAnnMc 02-15-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Liz aka Helen
Find another repairman see if you can get a second opinion regarding, not being able to repair on site. Where do you have to ship it for $275.00? the moon?or does that include repair?

Oh, sorry, that includes the repair. Goodness, I probably could ship it to the moon for that! LOL

hobo2000 02-15-2011 07:28 AM

Look at it this way, you can't buy a new Bernina for $275. and it will be good as new when they return it. I'd go for it, the sooner the better.

dakotamaid 02-15-2011 08:24 AM

First, find out how old it is. Than make the decision to fix it or not. Bernina's usually last a long time and at the price of them I would probably fix it.

newbee3 02-15-2011 11:23 AM

If it can be repaired for that price and you love the machine better do it.

sewingsuz 02-15-2011 03:31 PM

I would go for it, have it fixed.