Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I, or shouldn't I? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-shouldnt-i-t220583.html)

Diannia 05-03-2013 07:57 AM

If it brings you enjoyment to do your own quilting and you have the funds then buy it...don't worry about whether you are "getting your money's worth" or not because you are because you enjoy it! Let others worry about how much it's worth to THEM when you are gone and they sell it! Diannia

Annaquilts 05-03-2013 08:08 AM

I was in a similar position and ended up shopping for years and checking out machines. We had some money coming in a DH took me to a show and we shopped for long arms. At the end we decided which machine was right based on my needs. I now own a Innova 26, lightening stitch and pantovision. If you live to quilt and you can afford it go for it. I would get the machine you really want. I also feel guilt and feel like I should eventually take on quilts to quilt for others but I made sure to tell DH I was getting it just for me. I do quilts for others for free but it is so I can get practice on my machine. I quilt donation quilts that go to Vietnam vets and to hospice. I realy enjoy that.

I do think for many of us with long arms the machine is a luxury item that depreciates and not a business investment that pays off for itself. Kind of like a car. Lets just say I won't be getting another car for a long time and plan to drive the one I have till it is done. I thought that was a good trade off. I'd rather be driving my new long arm.

DOTTYMO 05-03-2013 08:30 AM

Have after following the advise of others, have it and begin by improving and enjoying yourself on yours and friends quilts. Then start to look around at where you can enter the income market.

crafty pat 05-03-2013 08:33 AM

If money is no problem and you love it and want it why not buy the one you like best. You never know what you may want to do with it in the future. Think of all the beautiful gifts you can make. There may come a time you can use a little extra cash and might want to do a few for others.

wolph33 05-03-2013 09:13 AM

if you love quilting get it.You do not have to justify if your hubby says you can get it.Nothing wrong with getting a well loved used machine.it is great to have a machine at home to use anytime of day or night that you want.

sewmary 05-03-2013 11:03 AM

Come back and tell us what you bought and how happy you are.

bigredharley 05-03-2013 11:10 AM

I have to agree it's not ever more economical, it's like being a baker and having to take your cake pans with the batter to someone else to bake....or frost.....hmmm I must be hungry LOL.

Good luck with your decision - I say go for it!!!!

quilter2090 05-03-2013 02:17 PM

If money is not the issue, why are you hesitating? How many guys hesitate when they want a new toy? I think sometimes we women think that anything we want has to be defended somewhere in the future. Why? You're an adult, if as you say, you have the money for it, go get what you want and DON'T feel guilty! Life is short! IF this gives you pleasure, why feel guilty.

suern3 05-03-2013 02:52 PM

Getting your money's worth is something only you can decide. If you get enjoyment from doing your own quilts from beginning to end, learning new things, having fun with it and can afford it, it sounds like a go to me. To me it is kind of like buying a car, some people buy a used Ford, some people buy a Cadillac. My husband likes old hotrods and bought a 1934 Ford for "a lot of money". If we figured how much it cost for each time he actually drives it, it probably not look good. But the overall enjoyment he gets from it and time with his buddies, it is sure "worth it". Go get it girl!

Nammie to 7 05-03-2013 07:29 PM

For a while I really wanted a long arm - but no matter how many times I measured the room it just wasn't big enough - husband told me to take over the family room - but not enough light - then told me to take over the living room. That would work but then figured with 6 cats it just wasn't in the books - they would be shredding the batting, sleeping on the quilt that was mounted on the machine. Then we wouldn't have room when family visited. Even thought I could work for others to help pay for one - but really don't want to turn my hobby into a job. Finally decided the process I was trying to get around was the pinning - so now I have a friend help me and that is now a non=-issue. I'm learning how to quilt on my Bernina 830.

That said - you have to decide what will make you happy - a long arm will have a huge learning curve - which may be exactly what you are looking for. Just remember if you buy one get the best that you can afford - you won't regret it.