Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I teach my husband to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-teach-my-husband-quilt-t177706.html)

Granpaquilts 04-16-2012 10:05 AM

My wife was quilting for about 15 years before I started. ( A story goes along with that ). I worked in the sail locker when I was in the Navy, sewing canvas and upholstery and I know more about sewing machines than she does. She had ( and still has ) a Janome 6600 and she showed me a few things and not three months later, she bought me a 6600 of my own. We now have separate rooms where we sew and rarely use anything of each others.

Geri B 04-18-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Granpaquilts (Post 5145782)
My wife was quilting for about 15 years before I started. ( A story goes along with that ). I worked in the sail locker when I was in the Navy, sewing canvas and upholstery and I know more about sewing machines than she does. She had ( and still has ) a Janome 6600 and she showed me a few things and not three months later, she bought me a 6600 of my own. We now have separate rooms where we sew and rarely use anything of each others.

I think that is the secret to success....separate rooms, own supplies/tools.
Personally, I do not my DH to "join" me in my sewing cave......I am an only child and I think the only child syndrome comes to play here....my space and my space only.
One of my daughters will occasionally invade my space......and I get upset, things are moved, out of order...not that I am a clean freak, but I know my mess, not someone else's.........my answer is....find your own fun..........if it be sewing/quilting...then fine, find your own space to it in......

Stitch124 10-12-2012 07:14 PM

I recently took a beginner's quilting class. There was this burley gentleman taking the class too. He'd also worked on repairing big 18-wheeler diesel engines for his whole life. When his mom passed, she gave her sewing machine to her daughter but she didn't want it so she gave it to her brother. He decided he wanted to make a quilt for his grandson. He worked so hard and was completely comfortable with the delicate and exacting nature of the process of quilting because he'd had to be that way working on engines. He said the best part was that he didn't have to get his hands all knicked up and greasy dirty. His quilt had an space theme with bright colored fabrics and stars that glowed in the dark. The back was one big piece of the solar system and it glowed in the dark too! He was so proud of it.

I'd say make him and offer and if he doesn't seem interested let him know that the offer is always open. Tell him about my classmate and maybe he'll decide to take a beginner's class just to see what he can do. Never hurts to try.

Jim 10-12-2012 10:00 PM

I have quilted for 20 years...my wife and I quilt together and have our own "STUFF". Templates, books etc are shared but, not our scissors. I mostly make tops and do very little quilting, she does mostly quilting and few tops, I do all the bindings. We have been married 38 years and quilting has never been a issue that has caused us any problems I am happy to be able to spend so much time with the woman of my dreams...BTW I am retired and we are together 24/7/365 days a year. As a matter of fact...I can count the # of nights we have not been together in those 38 years on two fingers. Many men quilt, I would strongly suggest that you offer to show him the quilting ropes so to speak. Invite him to look at quilting board and or the thousands of patterns..see if it peaks his interest...perhaps a train quilt since you mentioned his working with trains.

Toni C 10-13-2012 11:42 AM

I read this to my DH and he said no way. He would be in your stuff, and in your way, and next thing yall would be fighting because of 'space'. He needs a hobby of his own. A space of his own. Knife collecting or guns comes to mind he said.

MarLeClair 10-13-2012 01:08 PM

There are certainly other things to do besides quilt. Perhaps you could show him some x-stitch patterns, or needlepoint. I think it would be great fun to have your husband work with you as long as it isn't on the same project. Hope he finds his hobby soon.

DOTTYMO 10-14-2012 06:24 AM

It would depend on the individual. I just wish I had one of these husbands. I would've mind if he cleaned cooked gardened, did woodwork, fished or quilted as long as we shared the joy we had from our interests. Sharing life would make life seem so much easier. Jealous girl here

MimiBug123 10-14-2012 06:30 AM

I would only teach my DH if he had his own space and his own supplies. Knowing mine, he would be in my room chopping that special piece of fabric I'd been saving for years into 1 inch squares. I would only teach him if he swore on his life that he would NEVER touch anything in my room. Togetherness is great, but I'd feel a lot more secure if he found his own hobby!

scrapnut 10-19-2012 12:36 AM

ABSOLUTELY!! From personal experience, the family that quilts together spends lots of money at quilt shops together. :)