Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I upgrade my machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-upgrade-my-machine-t141391.html)

Jerseyrayne 07-30-2011 10:51 AM

I just started doing fmq, and I am using my Viking #1+ machine. It is a little tight, it is only 7 1/2" throat space. I have been reading alot and searching alot of machines and I am confused. I am wondering if 1 1/2" would make enough of a difference to spend the money on a new machine? I would really appreciate your opinions. Should I keep the Viking and get either a Janome 1600P or Juki 98Q or 2010Q? Or should I sell my Viking and get a Janome 6600P? I like the looks of the Janome 7700 but it is out of my price range. Also I quilt on a table, not a frame. But I thought maybe down the road a gracie frame, don't know, I only have a 10x11 sewing room and it is packed. I do have a Singer 201 that I can do piecing on also. Any input you can give would be really helpful.

Linda

hopetoquilt 07-30-2011 10:55 AM

I did a queen on a DSM with 7 inches of throat space. I thought about upgrading to a larger machine but decided against it. I can make do. I know how my machine works and it works well. I don't make enough quilts to justify the cost.

I guess it depends on how often you quilt and how big your quilts are... is it worth the trouble and expense?

ann31039 07-30-2011 11:00 AM

honey, i would love to have that much throat space.

frarose 07-30-2011 11:49 AM

I have a Gran Quilter by Pfaff with a 9" throat and 6" tall. It works great for quilting. My other fancier Paff on has a 6.5 throat and 4.5 high. I use to quilt on it but it was really hard maneuvering the quilt

Stitchnripper 07-30-2011 11:53 AM

I do FMQ on my dinky Brother mechanical which isn't very big at all. I once wrestled a king size through it but that was SITD. If I start in the middle and work out I can do a pretty big one. For me, I have found that "puddling" works better than rolling. Just my preference.

Buckeye Rose 07-30-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I do FMQ on my dinky Brother mechanical which isn't very big at all. I once wrestled a king size through it but that was SITD. If I start in the middle and work out I can do a pretty big one. For me, I have found that "puddling" works better than rolling. Just my preference.

I have a brother cs6000i and not much throat space either....and I also puddle.....is way easier to maneuver than a big roll

frarose 07-30-2011 11:59 AM

I have never been able to master the rolls myself.

Jerseyrayne 07-30-2011 04:30 PM

Can you tell me how far or how long can you quilt with l bobbin? My machine has a concave bobbin and it only holds enough thread to do a 12 x 14 practice quilt. I went to a class on fmq and there were 2 other woman there, I had to change bobbins 5 times to their one bobbin. It was a real pain. That is one of the main reasons I am thinking of upgrading, otherwise I have never had a problem with my machine. Viking definitely screw up with the bobbin on the #1+.

Essiescott 07-30-2011 04:36 PM

Well ya'll aren't gonna believe this---but a few years ago, before I knew better---I did a stitch in the ditch king size quilt on a Featherweight. Y'all know how much throat space is on those.

Sibyl

elizajo 07-30-2011 05:27 PM

If you have conquered FMQ on your Viking on smaller pieces, can you try to make it easier to quilt with it before buying a new machine? When I took the time to make a workable extension covered with slippery vinyl for my sewing cabinet, I had much less struggle with the quilt. I tried both my vintage Bernina 830 Record and Singer 15-91 this way, and ended up preferring the Bernina because it has easier bobbin access.

If I end up buying a new machine for quilting I think I would go with a straight stitch machine like the Babylock Jane or a Juki 2010Q so I could get better lighting, needle down, and thread cutting.