Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should or Shouldn't (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-shouldnt-t30784.html)

Susy 12-03-2009 06:53 AM

Sure looks great to me!

Ragann63 12-03-2009 07:07 AM

I say give it to her explaining that it is the "first!" quilt you have ever made! Could that make anyone feel more special? Even non-sewers have an idea of how much work must go into these projects. I think she will cherish the thoughfulness and love much more than worrying about where the seams are.

samroberts01 12-03-2009 07:15 AM

I agree! Give it to her she will love it and you cant see the mistakes.

GladGrams 12-03-2009 07:30 AM

The best advice I received was from another "younger" quilter. She told me -

"It is the flaws that make your quilt handmade, precious and valuable. If people wanted 'perfect' they would buy one ready made."

I now look at my gift projects with a different eye comprehending that the recipient will treasure the time I spent and the love behind it. Makes a world of difference for me. I no longer need to be perfect, but strive for excellence at my ability level. Perfection is for those who want their quilts evaluated and judged in hopes to win a prize. I don't think I will ever be at that level and it doesn't bother me. I get so much joy out of creating and giving that my heart is full each time I wrap up a gift.

Rose Marie 12-03-2009 07:59 AM

Have you noticed the quality of store bought clothes these days? Yet everyone buys them not even noticing the flaws.
Your quilt has to be better than storebought.
I have givin out my first quilts with many flaws and I see them still being used and appriciated.

SharonC 12-03-2009 08:02 AM

Your quilt looks beautiful. Don't be too hard on yourself! Make sure you wash it and dry it--so it fluffs up and looks "quilty"...then present it with PRIDE. She will love the fact that you "made" it and that it's a beautiful quilt.
Then tell us all about her comments (so we can tell you, "we told you so" (lol)
:) :)

Deb watkins 12-03-2009 08:38 AM

Look at it this way - she taught you to grow in one way and the gift of your first quilt will be a symbol of your own growth in another way.

nativetexan 12-03-2009 08:52 AM

I think it looks lovely hon. sometimes i don't stitch in the ditch but stitch long curvy lines. it's easier and gives a bit of interest. i use my walking/quilting foot. also known as even feed foot. helps the fabric layers move along evenly.
lovely quilt. just finish it and give it with love. i'm sure it will be appreciated greatly. great effort.

reginalovesfabric 12-03-2009 08:52 AM

it's a beautiful quilt and as my brother tells me all the time "who's going to notice that Regina" and my answer is "ME"...anyone that doesn't sew will not know. just remember the love that went into this quilt and they will too. Merry Christmas

Regina

penski 12-03-2009 08:53 AM

it looks great to me! hey thats the way you learn just keep on quilting with every quilt you learn something new