Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should take my own advice. Need advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-take-my-own-advice-need-advice-t268409.html)

greaterexp 08-05-2015 12:03 PM

Should take my own advice. Need advice

1 Attachment(s)
I would tell a new quilter that if they are using an old pattern, they should always make up a test block before cutting out a whole quilt's worth of blocks. I used a very old pattern and ignored my own advice in my excitement. It's been fun squaring up all those blocks. I'm making this at my daughter's request for my grandson. I might get it done before he's in college! (He's 2 now.) Any suggestions for the border? I'd hate to have anything too busy. My daughter and I tend to rather like old, traditional quilts. It will be twin sized.

needles3thread 08-05-2015 12:06 PM

I like the airplane quilt top...........the contrast is nice.
If a border is wanted, I would use a narrow solid like the planes.

Diane007 08-05-2015 12:06 PM

nice

I would suggest a simple border... maybe a small dark and a white on the out side....

GailG 08-05-2015 12:23 PM

I would start out with a one- or two- inch border of the white, since the planes extend out to the edge of the blocks. Then I would use a wider, perhaps 2 1/2- or 3- inch final border and binding of the dark. Those planes are great!

Tartan 08-05-2015 12:34 PM

You could to a plain blue stripe or perhaps a blue and white chevron around the edge? Cute planes, what are you going to quilt in the white blocks? You can maybe decide the border after deciding what you are going to quilt

Bluebonnets 08-05-2015 12:48 PM

That's a great top! Love it! How about a 2" border of white, to get the planes of the edge. Then a blue wider border or a pieced blue and white border would look great. Think the chevron idea is great and perhaps a navy with white dots print? Exciting possibilities! Hope you post whatever you decide to do. :)

LindaMRB 08-05-2015 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by GailG (Post 7277992)
I would start out with a one- or two- inch border of the white, since the planes extend out to the edge of the blocks. Then I would use a wider, perhaps 2 1/2- or 3- inch final border and binding of the dark. Those planes are great!

This quilter made a good point about the planes coming to the edge. A contrasting color would be good.
I like the drama of this pattern and colors and the simplicity, so would not choose borders that are too busy. You could save "busy" for the back!

Material Witness 08-05-2015 02:19 PM

You could put a white border all the way around so the planes don't go all the way to the edge.

What about a red and white striped border?

MCH 08-05-2015 03:42 PM

White inner border, then a red outside border.

juneayerza 08-05-2015 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Diane007 (Post 7277982)
nice

I would suggest a simple border... maybe a small dark and a white on the out side....

This would be my recommendation also.