Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shrinkage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shrinkage-t292735.html)

bearisgray 11-20-2017 08:42 AM

Shrinkage

I measured hundreds of pieces of fabric before and after washing them - just to see what happens.

For all my quilting cottons - I now do the hot water soak for at least two hours - or until I remember to wash the fabrics - and then wash gently in cool to warm water and dry "until done" - I have a dryer setting that stops when "done".

I do put like colors together - so in case one is a bleeder, it won't make too much of a difference - and I'm not chancing ruining other colors.

From my experience - most of the fabrics shrank more in one direction than another. Very few of them had little or no shrinkage. I have had up to 2.5 inches of shrinkage on a 42 inch width of fabric (a Michael Miller black and some others) with no shrinkage on the length - I had over two inches shrinkage per yard in length on the Legacy muslin (which is a very nice muslin) from JoAnn's.

From what I have heard, fabric will also shrink when steam pressed - and I am going to go downstairs and check that out right now. I have some "virgin" legacy muslin on hand that I was going to use for another experiment, but this one will be quick and easy to do.

QuiltnNan 11-20-2017 09:20 AM

thanks for reinforcing one of the reasons i prewash everything

Sync 11-20-2017 10:24 AM

Yup, I'm the same as QuiltnNan.

kplumbridge 11-20-2017 10:35 AM

I agree - I alway prewash and the few times I've tested, I've gotten about 1 inch per yard of shrinkage in length regardless of brand of cotton quilting fabric.

Jingle 11-20-2017 06:57 PM

I always prewash fabrics and don't buy kits. I never measure for any reason.

Mariposa 11-20-2017 06:59 PM

I also always pre-wash. Some fabrics will surprise me with how much shrinkage!

Passthepasta 11-20-2017 07:54 PM

I don't prewash. I think it's a good idea but I have so much fabric and never know what I'm going to use so it would be a gigantic task to wash it all. How do you all mange to prewash everything?

JudyTheSewer 11-20-2017 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Passthepasta (Post 7948148)
I don't prewash. I think it's a good idea but I have so much fabric and never know what I'm going to use so it would be a gigantic task to wash it all. How do you all mange to prewash everything?

After purchase (or receiving fabric gifts) it goes straight into the laundry room. It does not leave until it is machine washed and dried. Only then is it folded and added to the appropriate stash box/drawer/pile.

cathyvv 11-20-2017 08:31 PM

Me, too. But the washed fabric is not pressed until I am ready to use it. That makes the job easier.

Anniedeb 11-20-2017 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Passthepasta (Post 7948148)

I have a good sized stash, and I prewash when I use it, that way it only takes a little extra time.