Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shrinking a Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shrinking-pattern-t199774.html)

ZugZug 09-06-2012 06:26 PM

Shrinking a Pattern

I want to make my own sampler quilt. I do not have EQ7 yet (not till after christmas). So I was wondering, if I have a pattern and it makes a 12" block, can I divide the measurements in half and end up with the 6" block I want? Maybe I am being too simplistic this time, but normally I over think things so going with the simple approach first. I am not in a big rush so if its not this simple, I will just wait till I get my EQ7, rather than spend the time on the math (yes lazy i know).

Thanks in advance!

SallySaidSew 09-06-2012 07:18 PM

Is this something you can make a single test block out of paper to see if cutting the measurements in half give you the 6" square you want? Don't forgot the seam allowances.

dunster 09-06-2012 08:55 PM

In general, no, you can't just cut the measurements in half. For cutting fabric, you can (1) subtract 1/2" for seam allowances, (2) cut the measurement in half, and (3) add back in the 1/2" seam allowance, but this only works for rectangular patches, not for triangles or other shapes.

BETTY62 09-06-2012 09:19 PM

Could you reduce the pattern pieces by 50% on a copy machine, increas the seam allowance back to 1/4 inch and all the pieces still fit together as they should?

Prism99 09-06-2012 09:25 PM

With applique patterns you can do that because applique pattern pieces are provided in finished size.

Usually for pieced patterns you have to take the *finished* size of each piece, cut that by 50%, then add on a/4" seam allowance to each side.

AliKat 09-07-2012 12:28 PM

Yes. If you are talking about finished size of the block you may divide it however you wish. Just be sure to add the 1/4" seam allowances on all sides of each pattern piece.

I know you will love your EQ. Christmas isn't that far away.

ali

ckcowl 09-07-2012 12:44 PM

i know (in our minds) it should work- but it really does not- you do have to first subtract the seam allowance- then divide- then add it back in- and here's an example to show you why---
say you have a 5 1/2" (unfinished block)
divided in half = 2 3/4 {5.5 / 2 = 2.75}
when you remove the seam allowance first you have a 5" block- divided by 2 = 2 1/2" + 1/2" seam allowance- block size is 3" {5" / 2 = 2.5 + .5 = 3"} your block would not come out right if you cut 2 3/4" instead of 3"---you have to remove the seam allowance first- do the math- then add it back in like Dunster said.

ZugZug 09-07-2012 02:27 PM

Thank you. I figured it wouldnt be just a "divide and conqueor" type of thing since the seam allowance issue kept bothering me too, but I overthink things usually and figured I would ask before I started wacking away at fabric. :)

Since the sampler quilt is not even planned out yet (I dont even know which blocks and what fabrics I will be using), I'll just hold off for a couple of months. I havee plenty of other projects both sewing and non-sewing to keep me busy till next Christmas, much less this one.

Thank you all again. Everyone is always so helpful and quick to respond.

GingerK 09-07-2012 03:23 PM

I find it helps to draw out the pattern on graph paper. If I am really confuzzled by it, I will draw it out out in real size. Then it is a simple thing to add the seam allowances.

Have you seen the BOM from Common Threads Quilting called Sarah's Folly? It looks like a really nice scrappy sampler quilt.

QuiltnLady1 09-07-2012 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 5498231)
I find it helps to draw out the pattern on graph paper. If I am really confuzzled by it, I will draw it out out in real size. Then it is a simple thing to add the seam allowances.

Have you seen the BOM from Common Threads Quilting called Sarah's Folly? It looks like a really nice scrappy sampler quilt.

This is what I do -- I draw the block on graph paper using one square per inch) and then, if I want to reduce the whole block by half I simply count 2 blocks per inch to get my new measurement.