Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sick at heart.....and need some advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sick-heart-need-some-advice-t98883.html)

patsyo56721 02-13-2011 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
I have been working on my very first pieced project for a few weeks. I made a table runner for Valentines Day of 4" squares and a center section of embroidery. All was going quite well, I am very pleased with how well my squares joined together.. that's saying alot since I am a perfectionist!
I attached the binding which went pretty well, a bit too wide when I turned it to stitch it down but I am ok with it... for now. Last thing was to spray the embroidered section to remove the chalk marks. That went well also.... came back from my lunch break to discover that the water had seeped into each side of the embroidered fabric and my tiny red gingham check squares had bleed all over themselves. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I preface all of this by saying I know it was my fault I should have pre washed the fabric especially being a red print. Soooo.... now I am faced with how to repair this mistake.
Any ideas on what I can do?? I am going to put it on the table for the weekend and put a candleholder over each square just for now.It's so nice that they are balanced one on each side...But I would love input on some ideas on what to do... I am afraid tearing this apart is the only way to repair it. Gram was right when she said ' As you sew, So shall ye rip'. Just seeing of there are any other alternatives.
Thank you sew much!
Still crying! :cry:

Edited my post and added a couple of photos. I do have the dye catcher didn't think it would resolve this. I have not ironed it just letting it air dry.
Thanks so much for your quick replies. :-)

Try Shout Color Catcher in washer. None of mine have bleed. & I did have a an older one that was in that condition and was cleaned up when washed tih Color Catcher. I swear by it.

JanetLW 02-13-2011 03:48 PM

You can embroider over the line that separates the bleed part with the original part; it would look like one side is just a shade different than the other. Good luck.

MarySews 02-13-2011 06:42 PM

Do you have any scraps left from the quilt? I would stitch it together with some white, maybe even a bit of batting, stitch the edges, wet it till it looks like what you have and then -- throw it in the washing machine. sometimes the extra dye will wash right out, but you will know from your scraps whether it will or not. do try in the washing machine as I have had all of it wash out and as good as new. Something that runs regularly is red embroidery cotton -- again, sometimes the machine will fix it, sometimes not. good luck

JUNEC 02-13-2011 07:52 PM

My vote is for the dye catcher as well

auntiehenno 02-21-2011 10:46 PM

If it doesn't come out, sew, some nice lace over it.

deanna.r 02-22-2011 02:26 AM

Sheriann, Bobquilt3 had a very interesting suggestion that I would never have thought of.
Like so many others have said, try (in this case) 2 or even 3 colour catchers with lots of water in the machine. I usually use them if I think there's even a slight possibility that something-- and it's usually red-- will run in the laundry.
I washed the cloth outer part of a new shower curtain last week which was white with large navy blue leaves on it. I didn't notice that the formerly white part was baby blue until I had taken it out of the dryer. And my dryer runs hot, even on the delicate setting. I rewashed it with several colour catchers and it came out as good as new. I was pleasantly surprised that the background turned white again after having been "heat set" in the dryer.