Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sidewalk Sale (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sidewalk-sale-t247693.html)

slbram17 05-31-2014 05:38 PM

Sidewalk Sale

In case you see a sidewalk sale, you might want to check it out. My husband and I happened upon a little sign, Sidewalk Sale, in front of a small storefront. It turned out to be a store liquidation and they had some bolts of fabric for $1 a yard.

In the back there were hundreds of unopened bolts that had already been sold as a package. I was told the buyer had a retail store. On the bolts, the labels read Heather Baily, Moda, Michael Miller, Riley Blake, Anthologie, etc.

On top of that they had a Babylock Ellageo used in their business, with the embroidery unit attached - $70. Someone bought that while I was there. I think there was another babylock (not an embroidery unit) for $50.

I was able to get a little of the fabric they had left and felt really lucky. I can never afford the prices I have seen for these names.

Oh, they were also selling new bath towels (about 27" x 56"), white, yellow, and blue, for 25 cents each.

I bought 17 of the towels for the local animal shelter. They can always use them for cleaning, etc.

Just saying.

Serita

lovequilts 05-31-2014 06:36 PM

Wow, great idea on the towels.

Jeanne S 05-31-2014 06:43 PM

What a deal--congrats on getting a little of it!

sewbizgirl 05-31-2014 07:21 PM

I'm surprised they were selling so cheap, since they could have gotten a lot more for those things.

slbram17 05-31-2014 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by lovequilts (Post 6739289)
Wow, great idea on the towels.

Well, for 25 cents, it was kind of impossible to pass up. He'll keep some to use on the car, they don't look bad at all.
Serita

slbram17 05-31-2014 07:29 PM

From what I understand, the owner was just ready to get out of the business. And from what I saw, 99 percent of the fabric was already sold to a store owner.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 6739359)
I'm surprised they were selling so cheap, since they could have gotten a lot more for those things.

slbram17 05-31-2014 07:30 PM

Thanks....I'll probably never see another deal like that.

Serita

Jennie and Me 05-31-2014 09:45 PM

When I first started quilting, I found a sale like that. The owner was quitting business and everything in the store was $1 a yard but you had to buy whatever was on the bolt. Hubby was with me. I ended up spending close to $100, came home and the next day we went back with two of my friends in tow and we bought lots more fabric. Who could turn it down at that price? The first day that we stopped there just happened to be the first day of the sale. I still have some of that lovely fabric.

slbram17 06-01-2014 05:07 AM

Oh it was the same there...no cutting. What was left after the other store owner purchased the bulk of it was partial bolts. At the sidewalk sale prices, you spend one tenth (at least) of what you would see the fabric at another retail store.

I make the pet blankets for the animal shelter. Since they are two sides, they use at least two yards per blanket (sometimes more like 3 yards. I buy the Joann flannel when it is on sale but I can go that fast. I would guess I go to Joanns for that fabric at least once every two months. I am out of flannel right now since I made two more blankets over the past couple of days. I hate to piece these things but I need to use up some cut fabric pieces.

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me (Post 6739464)
When I first started quilting, I found a sale like that. The owner was quitting business and everything in the store was $1 a yard but you had to buy whatever was on the bolt. Hubby was with me. I ended up spending close to $100, came home and the next day we went back with two of my friends in tow and we bought lots more fabric. Who could turn it down at that price? The first day that we stopped there just happened to be the first day of the sale. I still have some of that lovely fabric.

slbram17 06-01-2014 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 6739359)

Maybe since there was no cutting of fabric, she kept the price down.