Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sign Boards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sign-boards-t56336.html)

rufus2 07-26-2010 09:38 AM

There were people who used Sign Boards to wrap their fabic to keep it neat. Where do you get the Sign Boards???

M.I.Late 07-26-2010 09:41 AM

Isn't that just the poster board with the foam inside? You could certainly use that and it's available at most craft stores.

jrhboxers 07-26-2010 09:58 AM

The name of the board is foam-core board. Most craft stores - Michaels, A.C.Moore, Hobby Lobby - carries it. And you can get it at places that do framing. It can be pricey. I know around here the regular price is about $3 a 20x30 sheet. So when I find it on sale of $1, I usually buy 30-40 sheets. I use it alot - signs, making boxes, etc. My husband uses it too.

SHayes 07-26-2010 10:18 AM

I buy the foam core boards at our Dollar Tree stores. From one sheet I can cut 4 9"x12" pieces for my yardage and 3 5"x 6 1/2" for pieces that measure between a FQ and a yard .I know they are probably not acid free, but I plan on using everthing in sight using this way of storage!

rufus2 07-26-2010 10:54 AM

The ones that I mean are plastic on both sides and corragated on the inside. I found one batch of them that a lady had but her husband didn't like the advertising on them and told her to get rid of them. They are what the realtors use and they have metal stands that they put into the ground. They are great to wrap the fabric around and they don't bend. I tried one of the boards from the Dollar Tree and it didn't that the weight of 3 yards of fabric.

jrhboxers 07-26-2010 11:07 AM

That's corrugated plastic sign board. You can usually buy it from the places that make screen-printed signs. The kind that you see at intersections advertising insurance and things. It is also the material that the politicals use for their signs.

rufus2 07-26-2010 12:05 PM

jrhboxers
Hi: Yes that's right but where can you get them. I am looking for some recycled ones.

jrhboxers 07-26-2010 12:10 PM

You can call sign makers/silk screeners. You can usually pick up their 'mistake' pieces and cancelled orders. I have also gotten them from people who have run for local office and didn't win.

brighmet 07-26-2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
You can call sign makers/silk screeners. You can usually pick up their 'mistake' pieces and cancelled orders. I have also gotten them from people who have run for local office and didn't win.

Be careful using "mistakes" and cancelled orders. The inks that screen printers use may be harmful to the fabric.
You should be able to buy a full 4 x 8 sheet of corrugated plastic from a plastic supplier. I own a sign shop and get get the sheets for around $8.00. I don't think I would chance using something that has any type of printing on them.

rufus2 07-26-2010 06:37 PM

brighmet: Thank you for the advice. I never thought of that.