Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signature quilt - any pointers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signature-quilt-any-pointers-t19373.html)

carrieg 04-24-2009 09:42 AM

I am planning a signature quilt for my mother's birthday in August. I have searched the 'net and I have a plan. :-)

I plan on using medium tip pigma pens and heat setting the signatures. For the out-of-state people, I will have them sign plain paper and then I'll scan that onto photo fabric. I have a layout in mind. I basically need to finalize the block size.

I see some of the board members have done this before. Can you share your experiences in making a signature quilt?

Rose Hall 04-24-2009 09:52 AM

I made one for my baby showers when I was pregnant and already had the top put together for people to sign. I saw an article in a quilting magazine a while ago that suggested you iron the strips/pieces to freezer paper for them to sign. The freezer paper stabilizes the fabric. When you are ready to piece it together all you have to do is peel the freezer paper off. This article suggested that you clearly mark the stitching line and give instructions to "stay in the lines"!!! The same article also suggested a "practice" piece for people to sign. Good luck!
Rose Hall

amma 04-24-2009 05:56 PM

Yes, iron on freezer paper to temporarily stabilize the fabric, it makes writing on it sooo much easier! Also you can draw a square on the back side of the freezer paper a 1/2 inch in from the sides, ask people to put it on a window and sign inside the lines...that way if they go edge to edge they are still way within the seam lines :D Can't wait to see your finished quilt :D

quiltwoman 04-24-2009 06:01 PM

I made one for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. Some advice--send along a sample. People will not know where to write or what to write. I suggested if at a loss, simply sign their names.

Iron freezer paper onto your strips and include directions and a SASE. Trust me, you will still be waiting on blocks to finish your project. As always, be flexible. Even though you send out 100, plan on not getting all of them back, so have another back up plan to fill in the holes.

I can tell you that from the time I sent blocks and started receiving them back, 2 of my MIL's best friends succumbed to cancer. To see their wishes/messages 4 months later was a blessing.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

carrieg 04-24-2009 06:49 PM

Thanks! I am planning on the freezer paper. There will only be about 10-12 that I'll be mailing. The rest are all within 25 miles, so I will pin them down! LOL

Including a sample is a good idea. I am thinking of putting on paper a drawing of the signature part, then the block and then the quilt so they can see how it all goes together.

quiltwoman 04-25-2009 10:47 AM

Good luck--sounds like a great present in the making :wink:

Grandma Cindy 04-26-2009 07:16 PM

Hello - I mailed out over 100 letters with the center white piece with directions. Some people use the pens, some embroidered, some used stamps. The grandchildren had their own 6 inch square piece to draw a picture on. How cute was a stick picture of Matthew and his Grandma playing Go Fish... I presented my mother with the quilt pieced, layered and a few quilting stiches in place. The next summer I had finished the hand quilting and presented it to her at her family reunion. You will love going to the mail box to see what arrives. My mother wondered why there were so many birthday cards that year on her dining room table !! Have fun with the experience. Do give people a date for them to have it back to you or they will procrastinate.. Put freezer paper on all of them or bring along lots of extra fabric. Thank you for allowing me to think about good memories...

MadQuilter 04-27-2009 01:34 PM

From what I heard in the guild, it is important to be very descriptive (strict) in telling the participants what you want them to do - particularly for any pieces you send out. Otherwise you may not get back what you expect.

Good luck and enjoy the process.

quiltwoman 04-27-2009 01:39 PM

Grandma Cindy's post brought something else to mind--if you have any little ones, I did have one of SIL's use fabric paint and make the babies footprints ...they are now in kindergarten :shock: :shock: :shock: