Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signature Quilt Problem, Please Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signature-quilt-problem-please-help-t251268.html)

Appa Valley 08-03-2014 08:17 AM

Signature Quilt Problem, Please Help

Hey all,

I wash tested some fabrics that I am going to use in a signature quilt for a wedding. I used cotton fabric and wrote with Pigma pens. When I washed them in the sink the ink came out a bit faded. What am I doing wrong? I waited at least a day for the ink to sink into the fabric before heat setting them. Now I did use stain-lifting detergent and scrubbed pretty hard on some of them. Should I try again and just wash them in the washer like normal? What else can I do to help the ink stay?

dunster 08-03-2014 09:26 AM

This is from the makers of Pigma pens -
*Please note - the inks on fabrics are for "decorative purposes only" - meaning do not launder. Use on pre-laundered textile, 100% cotton. And most importantly, to pre-test on material scraps prior to final application.

QuiltE 08-03-2014 09:26 AM

First of all, congratulations to you for doing a trial run .... rather than being disappointed later!
So many do not do so, and then are disappointed.

Did you heat set the inked area, by pressing (and holding) with an iron?

In doing a test wash, I would do it the same way as it will be washed in the future. Plus, rather than working with pieces of fabric, I would probably make a small sandwich with the same fabrics, batting, etc. and complete as a mini quilt. Something as simple as a Mug Rug will be fine.

If you plan to use different coloured pens, I would be sure to try all of them on the sample, just to check that they all performed in the same manner. Then as above, wash this mini quilt the same as the big one will be when the time comes.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Tartan 08-03-2014 10:19 AM

The only way I know of to have permanent signatures is to hand embroider over them. If you view antique signature quilts, this is how they are still in good shape today. Pigma signatures when heat set will look good for a while if not laundered. If your project is a wall hanging, I have had signatures lasting since 1990.

Appa Valley 08-03-2014 12:29 PM

Thanks, everyone. I did heatset before washing. I'm making the small quilt sample right now, so I guess we'll see how it goes this time 'round. If it doesn't work then I guess I'll be embroidering over them. Thanks again.

ragamuffin 08-03-2014 04:37 PM

I suppose you are using the "permanent ink". I would make sure. Good luck with it.

Donnamarie 08-05-2014 08:58 AM

Did you heat set them with a dry iron?

Appa Valley 08-05-2014 10:10 AM

Yup, I'm using the permanent ink and I did heat set them with a dry iron. I tried again making the small quilt sample and it came out just fine. I may end up embroidering over them anyway for it to last.

Appa Valley 10-02-2014 03:14 PM

I have another question. If anyone wants to sign the quilt after it has already been quilted and bound then is that ok as long as you still heat set it with an iron?

ragamuffin 10-02-2014 07:06 PM

First of all, did you pre wash the fabric and rinse well, using no dryer sheets? I did one of these, washed the fabric and dried it. I used the pigma pen on my sample and ironed it. Then I washed it, even poured Clorox on it, and the writing did not change. I would start over and try this. Good luck.