Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signature quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signature-quilt-question-t304597.html)

Iceblossom 05-08-2019 02:32 PM

I'm another one who says to pass out strips showing some sort of margins and not have a big blot right in the middle of everything ruin a project.

Plus, I have a really long name and terrible handwriting. I have to practice my own signature several times before doing it for real.

Another thing I have envy over, you all with the nice writing!

IrishNY 05-08-2019 04:14 PM

I made square in a square blocks for my daughter's wedding using paper piecing. I left the paper on to stabilize. It eliminated the worry of people signing into the seam allowance.

Mkotch 05-09-2019 02:10 AM

I've made several signature quilts and have found 3.5" squares work well. I cut them out of a Moda fabric similar to unbleached muslin but with a little more substance. Then i cut 3" squares out of freezer paper and ironed them to the back of each fabric square. I provided a variety of colors of Pigma pens - some people like to illustrate their blocks and others just want to write their names. It's a wonderful keepsake and you can arrange the squares many different ways. My favorite was a wedding quilt with strips of floral applique between the squares (it was long ago so I'm sorry i don't have a photo to share).

Feathers-N-Fur 05-09-2019 10:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the quilt I made for my sister in law’s wedding. I made the blocks, then ironed them to freezer paper, then taped a seam allowance around the edges. I brought a handful of pigma pens for people to use. I did a wash test before the wedding with a pigma pen and a few different sharpies. Nothing ran, but the pigma did the best in my test over several washes. My white was Kona from Joann’s
.[ATTACH=CONFIG]612671[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]612672[/ATTACH]

Macybaby 05-10-2019 04:27 AM

The last signature quilt I made was for someone retiring. So I cut 12" blocks and put pressure sensitive stabilizer on the back. Does a great job and you peal it off when you don't need it anymore.

I sent them to different departments with an assortment of colored fabric pens and let people sign however they wanted.

Then I pieced them into the backing of the quilt. The Art Teacher took one block and drew the school logo on it, that worked out great for me!

IrishMom 05-10-2019 04:42 AM

Feathers-N-Furs: that quilt is amazing! I love that the guests were able to put more than a signature on it. Such a special memory.

IrishMom 05-10-2019 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did make a "signature" quilt a while ago, please excuse the quality of the picture it was from 2004 before I had a digital camera. My daughter's Kindergarten class made this as a gift for their pregnant teacher. We had a shower party for her in class. Since it was five and six year olds I gave them the precut fabric and one fabric pen several weeks before the party, then I had it ready for the shower. I loved how it came out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]612707[/ATTACH]

just janet 05-10-2019 12:25 PM

I've made 2 quilts like that, everyone signed them at the party. I too wanted everyone to see the finished quilt. Both quilts are fine, no one messed it up. Good luck.