Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   signature quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signature-quilts-t318510.html)

Aria 06-20-2022 05:59 AM

signature quilts

I need to have people sign a signature quilt after it has been quilted. what are your suggestions?

Peckish 06-20-2022 01:43 PM

Suggestions for what? How to make them keep their signatures in bounds? What kind of pen to use?

Quiltwoman44 06-20-2022 04:36 PM

pen, Micron Pigma Pens .o5 size work great. i always heat set any signature blocks i used to collect.
some say get the squares signed before piecing. people never stay within the lines.... others will chime in with more help.

cashs_mom 06-20-2022 05:25 PM

If you asking about having people sign blocks on a quilt after the quilt it quilted, I wouldn't even try. Its going to be really hard to sign on fabric that has been quilted. Its much better to have them sign and fabric before it's made into a block.

SuzSLO 06-20-2022 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree with the advice on avoiding having anyone sign on a quilted quilt. You could have signatures done on separate fabric pieces then appliqué to the quilt. If hand appliquing, I had people sign on fabric pressed to freezer paper for stability using a Pigma Micron pen. I put lines on the freezer paper to make it easier to sign. See photo of one such signature after the quilt was completed. One guest used their own pen and it ran horribly, but I was able to recreate it by tracing it. I have appliquéd circles to a completed quilt (I thought it was boring and needed something), but nothing large enough for a signature. See attached.

illinois 06-21-2022 02:25 AM

Yes, it is better to have the signatures done before the quilt is quilted but I'm assuming you have the quilt already finished and now want the signatures.
I have no experience doing this but I do use the pigma pen for making labels and would use one with a fine line to avoid "smudging". I wonder if you can put the quilt into a frame/hoop to hold it taut while the person signs. I think I would try that to see if it would help; otherwise, I think it's going to puff up and make a mess of things. Perhaps have a sample piece available for the person to practice before actually putting their signature on the quilt itself so they have an idea how much pressure to use and how quickly to move their hand. This is more like drawing than actually signing.
Some signature quilts have the signature embroidered. Perhaps this might be of use for you, being sure the stitchery only goes through the quilt block and not all the way through the quilt.
Good luck!

cjsews 06-21-2022 05:51 AM

I have done this before for someone else’s quilt. If you can have a second person try to hold the block tight while the person is writing will help Good luck

toverly 06-21-2022 12:24 PM

People can be quite dim when it comes to permanent inks. Best to get them to sign blocks, then toss any blocks that aren't appropriate. I would hate to see a quilt ruined by someone's "Oops."

intoquilting 06-21-2022 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO (Post 8556371)
I agree with the advice on avoiding having anyone sign on a quilted quilt. You could have signatures done on separate fabric pieces then appliqué to the quilt. If hand appliquing, I had people sign on fabric pressed to freezer paper for stability using a Pigma Micron pen. I put lines on the freezer paper to make it easier to sign. See photo of one such signature after the quilt was completed. One guest used their own pen and it ran horribly, but I was able to recreate it by tracing it. I have appliquéd circles to a completed quilt (I thought it was boring and needed something), but nothing large enough for a signature. See attached.

What is the name of that quilt pattern?

donac 06-21-2022 01:29 PM

I have given two signature quilts that was signed after they were quilted. It was fine. You do need someone to stand near the quilt so little kids don't draw on it but it does work.