Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signature Squares from Baby Shower-Question??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signature-squares-baby-shower-question-t52683.html)

gmaquilts 07-03-2010 07:10 PM

So I got over 26 signatures/drawings on white muslin at my niece's baby shower today. I gave pretty clear instructions to leave me a half inch all the way around for sewing. And, of course, some ladies got carried away and drew all the way to the edge. Sheesh. I was standing over the table while this was going on but I couldn't catch them in time. The squares were cut at 5" sq. and I haven't exactly decided how I will put them in a quilt yet. But I have some ideas.

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas on how to deal with these six squares with writing to the edge. Obviously, I can't sew them to another piece of fabric or I will lose part of the design/signature/message.

Ideas ladies/gents?

bearisgray 07-03-2010 07:17 PM

Would it be really difficult to get these ladies to do them over? Have them keep the same sentiments, but just condense it a bit.

Maybe draw a "frame" around where they should write in removable chalk or something?

sharon b 07-03-2010 07:25 PM

Use wunder-under or heat and bond ... attach to another( larger) piece of fabric and use the bigger pieces in the quilt . You can use a stitch around the squares to make sure the fabric stays in place.

raptureready 07-04-2010 03:57 AM

I'd sew them in anyway and not worry about it but that's just me and my "Oh well" attitude.

quiltinghere 07-04-2010 03:59 AM

Two options

Sew them in as is - losing some of the writing.

or

Get them to sign another (that has a border on it) either in person or by mail. Call them an explain that you need it mailed back the same day if mailing.

noveltyjunkie 07-04-2010 05:09 AM

Don't you hate when you take on a job and people don't respect the requirements? Sorry this has happened. If you really want to go the extra mile you could photograph the offending blocks and print them out at 80% on that fabric you can put in laser printers.

gmaquilts 07-04-2010 06:47 AM

Good ideas, thanks. It isn't possible for me to contact these people to have them redo the squares. I don't know most of them. But I'm kinda liking the idea of scanning them and printing at 80%. I might try scanning one to see how it comes out. I also thought of tracing the simpler ones onto a different piece, slightly smaller. I'll let this gel awhile longer, I'm not in a big hurry to put the quilt together.

Thanks for your ideas. I've been mostly lurking here for about six months and decided it's time to jump in and post. From all I've been reading I knew this group would have some ideas for me.

littlehud 07-04-2010 07:20 AM

I like the idea of redoing them at 80%. That way there will be no hurt feelings. Please post a pic when you finish the quilt.

barbrdunn 07-23-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I like the idea of redoing them at 80%. That way there will be no hurt feelings. Please post a pic when you finish the quilt.

Ditto.