Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   signing and dating a quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signing-dating-quilt-t1203.html)

ccbear66 06-03-2007 02:27 PM

As I've said before I'm fairly new to quilting and I've heard that you should "sign" and date each quilt that you make. I was wondering if some of you would share how you do that. I have made two baby quilts that I'm going to give as gifts and I would really like to add a label.
Thanks in advance for you help

Yvonne 06-03-2007 02:51 PM

Again, there are no rules!

I usually hand embroider my labels. I put the name of the quilt, date made, who is was made for and my name. Some people include the place where the quilt was made also.

I have put sayings on the labels of two quilts.
Another quilt's label was written out with a sharpie pen! As I said above, no rules. Whatever you are comfortable with. My sewing machine will be writing my next label, I think!

Ruth Cozadd 06-03-2007 02:52 PM

Many quilters make a lable to sew on the back of their quilts when finished. It was a tradition in some families for it to be embroidered in the makers own hand writing. Today anything goes I've seen them printed out on computer printer fabric and incorporated in the piecing on the front of the quilt. One absolute,you need to keep in mind that the lable endure the quilt's usage and washing. I have seen far too many that have fallen off, or the ink faded, or the stitching came undone. If using ink, be sure to use only textile permant marking pens never a ball point or felt tip pen.

Rebecca Chambley 06-04-2007 01:13 AM

Several years back, I purchased fabric, that was a novelty print, of quilt labels. All I had to do was add the sticky back and cut apart. They where bigger then the store bought lables. I'm now down to bear minimun now. Store Labels are nice, but so darn small , and can't really be personalized. Is there any where you can purchase larger labels, that are blank and you can fill in the blanks? With embrdiery or permanent ink? And I mite add, don't break the bank, on that one (other item, you have to have for your quilt)?

vicki reno 06-04-2007 05:17 AM

I make a lot of baby quilts and usually do applique. I generally make a smaller version of the figure or design that is on the front and use it on the back. I use wonder under to stabilize it and zigzag around the outer edges of my label and slip stitch it to the back. Lots of patterns called for you to enlarge it, and if that is the case, I simply make a copy of what is in the magazine before enlargment to use as my label. I use a fabric marking pen and iron over the ink after I write on it to make the ink more permanent.

azdesertrat 06-04-2007 01:22 PM

hi
I have heard that now some quilters are writing all the info directly on the quilt and then putting a label over that,incase it falls off or is removed(as if it was stolen) that way it is twice marked. 8)

Rebecca Chambley 06-04-2007 02:45 PM

Good idea....

bbwalkup 06-05-2007 06:58 AM

You know, I do this for special quilts that are going to a person for a specific event, but not for quilts that I hang on my own walls. Does anyone else do that, not sign the quilts you intend to keep?

I personally don't understand the naming of a quilt. I guess I don't understand why certain names are choosen. I think I called my first 10 quilts "four letter words" cuz that's what mostly came out of my mouth. But for the first time I've actually found a name that will fit a quilt I'll be making...other than calling something the pattern name. I'm making a 40th anniversary quilt for my in-laws, and I've decided against any type of border (mostly cuz I can't find the perfect fabric) so I'm thinking
"a borderless marriage". Does that sound okay?? I like it, but am doubting it. Any thoughts??

Rebecca Chambley 06-05-2007 02:33 PM

It is what you think, that matters. I alway name my quilts, NOW. That really makes them special and personal to me. And I can recall better the quilts I have made. And yes I give most of my quilts away as gifts, but I know their names and can recall them better. They are my babies.

BarbC 06-05-2007 03:57 PM

I label all my quilts. I name them..and I always put a Bible verse on them. One thing I do with Baby Quilts... I put the Baby's name and what it means and a verse that connects to that meaning.

I also put my name and the date.

I print mine out of fabric made for the printer and heat set the ink.

Barb C.