Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Signing on wedding quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/signing-wedding-quilt-t115261.html)

SunQuilts 04-11-2011 08:52 AM

I am in the planning stages for a quilt for my granddaughter's wedding. I plan to make signature blocks and have all the guests sign a block. My question is what kind of pens to have them sign with. I have the fine point Pigma pens but would like to use something that makes a bit bolder line so the signatures will show up well. What do you recommend?

amma 04-11-2011 08:58 AM

You will find that not all guests just sign their names. Many will add a little something, so the finer points may be a better choice :wink:
Also, adding freezer paper to the back of the squares keep them stable and the signatures/writing end up looking nicer too. :D:D:D

nativetexan 04-11-2011 09:05 AM

wash your fabric and don't use fabric softener.
then get Micron Pigma pens. i use .05 size. and i heat set the siggys just to be sure.

StitchinJoy 04-11-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
wash your fabric and don't use fabric softener.
then get Micron Pigma pens. i use .05 size. and i heat set the siggys just to be sure.

Ditto, I did the same.

My daughter's wedding quilt was also her guestbook. Instead of the guestbook table, we had a quilt table!

We set out fancy little satin baskets (flower girl baskets from some friends' weddings) with patches of fabric and Pigma pens. I drew squares on the patches with pencil lines surrounding the area for the writing. I cut them a full inch bigger than I planned to use.

Very few guests just signed their names. Most wrote blessings and wishes. Some wrote poems. Others drew hearts, flowers, even a bride and groom!

I put the patch from my son-in-law's brother on his side of the quilt. I put the patches from my daughter's best friends on her side of the quilt. Now as they sleep, their dear friends' words cover them.

QuiltE 04-11-2011 09:19 AM

You can get different thicknesses.
Another brand that is used are Sharpies ... can be purchased in office supply stores. Also available in different widths.

Will those at the wedding understand what the signature blocks are all about?

Years ago, we were at a wedding, and they came around with the blocks for us to sign. No one at our table understood what it was about or what to do. Long before I had heard about signature quilts!

So as a suggestion .... maybe consider a written sheet explaining what it's about, maybe even with a picture?

Wonder if there is a way you could attach the block to that sheet and use it as the stiffener for them to write on?

JJean 04-11-2011 09:19 AM

The finer grain the fabric the less bleed you have from the pen and it's easier to write with a flowing hand. I learned this from making quilt labels. I use a fine point Sharpie pen and then heat set with my iron.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 04-11-2011 10:08 AM

I never would have thought to use freezer paper..what a great thought..thanks...

SunQuilts 04-11-2011 11:28 AM

Thanks for the responses. I am considering making a scrappy slanted star quilt so there will be a good area to write on. I will make the blocks and iron freezer paper on the back for writing. And having a picture of the completed quilt to display is a good idea too. The pen I use when making quilt labels is a size 01; I am thinking to go up several sizes (05 to even 08) would be a good idea. There is an art supply store near me where I can probably try them out. This is going to be such fun!

ube quilting 04-11-2011 03:21 PM

Caution: sharpies will run! Stick with the Pigma .05
Congrats to all. Peace and love

QuiltE 04-11-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Caution: sharpies will run! Stick with the Pigma .05
Congrats to all. Peace and love

My understanding was that you set it with a hot iron, and no problems.

Is this not the case?