Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Silent Auction (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/silent-auction-t140858.html)

GrannieAnnie 07-28-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
In my experience quilts go notoriously low in silent auctions. However if they are willing to sell raffle tickets for it, they will make more. People love applique and it will be fall so an autumn themed quilt might sell.

Also, there are two ways to handle a silent auction. Just let people make a bid and put it into a box or jar.

OR write up a bid sheet and each person bidding will have a chance to up the previous bid. At the end of the bid period, the highest bidder wins. Usually, this method will yield much better results than the hidden bids in a jar. Set a increment minimium of 5 or 10 dollars---------or more.

Just an unseen bid often brings very low income. I'd hate for my work to go for a $100 or so.

kraftykimberly 07-28-2011 11:48 AM

I too have learned my lesson on the silent auction route, it would have been a better benefit for the charity if I had just written them a check for the amount of money I paid just for fabric and supplies. I didnt feel bad for myself, but I did for the event organizers.

fabric_fancy 07-28-2011 11:53 AM

our guild did a silent auction of a bunch of art quilts at this years show and so many of them didn't even get an opening bid.

the most one quilt went for in the silent auction was $45 - everyone agrees never to do the silent auction again.

the sad thing is most of the people who come to our show are quilters and they didn't even bid up the quilts - its not just the general public that doesn't want to pay for quilts.

Dianemarie 07-28-2011 11:55 AM

Its so sad; at the auctions especially silent auctions. Many times an opening bid isn't even there. Then it gets lowered sometimes several times. I bought one just to get it started at $30 dollars - full size !! Then gave it away. I made some table runners and they don't even bring more than $15 - $25. That is alot less work and you are still being supportive of the cause. I would say that a raffle held over a period of time would bring in more money; most people will open their pocketbook for $1.

Good luck ~

Prism99 07-28-2011 12:44 PM

I refuse to make a quilt for a silent auction. I will make a quilt to raise money with a raffle. In my experience, silent auctions never raise enough money for a quilt whereas raffles do (provided tickets are priced reasonably and the group makes an effort to sell tickets over a long period of time).

If it's a charity you really like, I would just make a cash donation.

JUNEC 07-28-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by seamstome
In my experience quilts go notoriously low in silent auctions. However if they are willing to sell raffle tickets for it, they will make more. People love applique and it will be fall so an autumn themed quilt might sell.

Totally agree. In a silent auction, even in affluent areas you will be lucky if the cost of fabric is recouped. If it goes for $100 or $200 you will be fortunate. Whereas raffles often raise close to $1,000 depending on how long raffle tickets are sold and the venues used to promote sales. You may wish to suggest to the organizers of the event they kick off the raffle at the silent auction event and run it through Christmas. Many people are willing to part with a few dollars for a chance at a quilt. Very few are willing to part with a few hundred. Before volunteering to pour your heart and soul into a quilt that will, at best, only bring in $300 or so, you may wish to rethink volunteering your efforts in a way to raise even more money for the museum.

I agree as well.

ptquilts 07-28-2011 01:03 PM

raffle = quilt

silent auction = pair of potholders.

just my opinion.

Shelbie 07-28-2011 01:12 PM

Just send a donation as I've yet to see a quilt bring very much in a silent auction. I was asked for one this spring and sent an apron and cookbook. I bet it generated as much as the quilt would have and I had a lot less time and fabric tied up in it.

dunster 07-28-2011 06:27 PM

I agree with the others. Silent auctions work okay for small things, but even then there should be a minimum price set for each item. Raffles work much better, but then you need to sell tickets at as many events as possible, and that can be very time consuming.

Greenheron 07-28-2011 06:38 PM

Just because you make a big, beautiful quilt there is no guarantee there will be big, beautiful bids, especially at a silent auction. Too many quilters have been disappointed when their work is practically given away at one of these events.

Since it's to be for the Children's Museum, why not make a baby's or doll's quilt? Or even two or three in traditional patterns.