Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Silly question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/silly-question-t100730.html)

Renee110 02-17-2011 07:51 PM

I was just over in the pictures section looking at a lovely miniature quilt. And I wondered....what is the difference between a miniature quilt and a wallhanging quilt? I thought to myself when I saw the one in pictures "I need to make one", then I thought well I've made a wallhanging is it the same thing?

sewwhat85 02-17-2011 07:55 PM

i would love to hear the answer to that i wonder if there is a size difference or if it has to have as many blocks as a quilt or what inquisitive minds want to know.
this is a definition i found on the web
"My thought, not necessarily everyones, is a small quilt which is in proportion pieces wise. When photographed with no scale for comparison the mini will look like a full size quilt, and only when a comparison is applied should the smallness be seen."
here is another one
A type of quilt that is a smaller version of a full-sized quilt.

CoyoteQuilts 02-17-2011 08:01 PM

I read somewhere that a mini was no bigger than 26-30 inches square with small blocks.

spinnergs 02-17-2011 09:21 PM

I always considered a mini to be one with the quilt squares to be a very small version of the regular one. Alot of my mini's have been 12" and under. With the squares not more than 1-1 1/2 inches.

trisha 02-17-2011 09:21 PM

I thought mini quilts were like doll bed size.

jajudd24 02-17-2011 09:22 PM

That is what I read also....Cant remember where though been awhile.

gaigai 02-17-2011 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I was just over in the pictures section looking at a lovely miniature quilt. And I wondered....what is the difference between a miniature quilt and a wallhanging quilt? I thought to myself when I saw the one in pictures "I need to make one", then I thought well I've made a wallhanging is it the same thing?

Does it matter? If it's small enough to go on a wall you can call it a wall-hanging, a doll quilt or a miniature. I suppose a language purist (language police?) would insist that the definition of "miniature" is a smaller scale model of an original. However, looking at the spelling and grammer found in the majority of messages, I venture to suggest that there are no language police here. So don't sweat it.

greensleeves 02-17-2011 10:20 PM

For our quilt show entry miniatures, the description is "blocks no larger than 4" and quilt no larger than 24" to a side. I think this is a rather generous description of a miniature and am sure there is a more valid description somewhere.

ckcowl 02-18-2011 05:58 AM

minitures are quilts made with (traditional) patterns that are scaled down...took a 12" jacob's ladder block...miniturized the pieces and made it a 4" block...still a jacobs ladder just a mini version.
mini's can be made into wall hangings, or big quilts, or table toppers or what ever...i actually have a queen size quilt made completly of 3 1/2" miniturized blocks...
wall hangings do not have to be made with miniturized blocks...lots of wallhangings are made with 12" or larger blocks...or one big block...being a mini has nothing to do with whether or not its a wall hanging- :thumbup: