Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer 301a walking foot dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-301a-walking-foot-dilemma-t116562.html)

Quiltgranny 04-16-2011 08:23 AM

Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired a Singer 301a and am working to supply her with some needed accessories that she didn't come with. I'm having trouble finding a walking foot for her that does not require some sort of modification in order to fit correctly.

The one I bought recently requires cutting out some of the inner curve of the fork that goes over the needle clamp in order to snug up and fit correctly. I also found, upon inspection that my thumbscrew rubs the housing of the walking foot.

When I inquired with the company I purchased it from I was told I could cut out a section of the housing to better accommodate the thumbscrew or just remove the housing altogether. Is that the way is has to be?!

Does anyone know of a particular model to get and where it can be purchased?

Thank you so much,
:D

irishrose 04-16-2011 09:00 AM

I haven't felt the need for one with my 301. She doesn't shift fabric at all so I'm no help to you. Have you tried releasing the pressure foot slightly and just using a regular foot? I just did STID with a medium poly batt and had no wrinkles on the back. I did use the SITD foot.

Quiltgranny 04-16-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I haven't felt the need for one with my 301. She doesn't shift fabric at all so I'm no help to you. Have you tried releasing the pressure foot slightly and just using a regular foot? I just did STID with a medium poly batt and had no wrinkles on the back. I did use the SITD foot.

I haven't tried that yet, but will. Just guess I'm accustomed to using one on all my other machines. Haven't tried the 301a without one yet, s'pose I should. :oops:

Thank you,

KatFish 04-16-2011 11:49 AM

I got a walking foot made for a slant shank machine and mine works great.

Quiltgranny 04-16-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
I got a walking foot made for a slant shank machine and mine works great.

Great! Would you mine posting what kind and maybe where you got it or send me a PM with that info?

Thanks so much :thumbup:

hobbykat1955 04-16-2011 12:31 PM

Got into ebay "Vintage Singer walking foot"...I just got a 301 and went looking also and found ones just for the 301 there reasonably priced...slanted needle type but some say for 301

Quiltgranny 04-16-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Got into ebay "Vintage Singer walking foot"...I just got a 301 and went looking also and found ones just for the 301 there reasonably priced...slanted needle type but some say for 301

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I'll take a peek. :thumbup:

featherweight 04-16-2011 06:06 PM

I also got mine on Ebay. Slant needle walking foot and it works great. No problems at all. Also ordered a darning foot for it and I love it too. I just put slant needle attachments in the search and found several.