Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer 7258 Pros & Cons PLEASE ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-7258-pros-cons-please-t180878.html)

linb 02-27-2012 07:31 AM

Singer 7258 Pros & Cons PLEASE !

Hi all,
My friend is fairly new to quilting/sewing and is looking for a machine with some of the newer features.
Programmable needle down, variable needle positions, and a variety of stitches including blanket stitch etc.
She is not in the market for an expensive machine and is looking at this one for $200.

If you have one or know someone who does, please let us know what you think about it.

Thanks, Lin

Prism99 02-27-2012 10:58 AM

I absolutely would not purchase a new low-end Singer. They have a terrible reputation. IMO, it is better to buy a Brother at Walmart.

Dolphyngyrl 02-27-2012 05:21 PM

Can't comment on the singer whether or not it is a good purchase, but I did get my brother SQ9050 from walmart gor 200 with a 20 dollar rebate, and I love my machine, so I can vouch for this brother at walmart if she is looking for a cheap machine

sewbeadit 02-27-2012 05:38 PM

There has been a lot of good comments about the lower end priced Brothers on this board. They would be worth the investigating. Some on-line places you can get a better machine with less price, a good deal.

Joset 02-28-2012 03:53 AM

tell her to stay away from the singer.

annasgirl 02-28-2012 02:14 PM

I bought a Singer Confidence Quilter and I love it!! I got it online for $240--free ship. It has all the features you mentioned and comes with a walking foot and the free motion quilt foot as well as a few other goodies.
My old machine was a Brother I got at Walmart about 6 years ago...no needle down feature, but it was the cheapest one they had. I gave it to my daughter when I got my Singer and it is serving her well.

Nanamoms 02-28-2012 04:28 PM

For under $200, I would purchase a Brother rather than a Singer. I bought a Singer for around $200 and the tension wouldn't stay fixed. I Love my Brother combo sewing/embroidery machine!!

linb 03-01-2012 03:37 AM

This model is sold at Sears and Amazon. Sears has gone to Brother and Singer. No Kenmore or Janome . . at Bangor Maine store anyways.

anita211 03-01-2012 05:39 AM

I have a Brother CS6000i that I got for a ridiculous price on eBay and love it. It has needle up/down, about 110 stitching things, and is fairly quiet when in use. Originally these machines were at $300 but are now down to about $169. Try Ken's Sewing in Muscle Shoals, AL. They have good machines, and they also have previously 'loved' machines that are in great shape. There are refurbs also, which give you a better machine for a lower price.

Prism99 03-01-2012 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by linb (Post 5020944)
This model is sold at Sears and Amazon. Sears has gone to Brother and Singer. No Kenmore or Janome . . at Bangor Maine store anyways.

Wow. Didn't know Sears had already changed. My advice is to not get a Singer machine, as they are notorious for developing tension problems. Many people here have posted that they are happy with their low-end Brother machines, and Walmart carries a couple of models. Babylock also has a good rep, but not sure they are in the price range and they don't seem as easy to find.