Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer Athena 2000 - Pros & Cons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-athena-2000-pros-cons-t138305.html)

Rosalyn 03-05-2018 05:55 PM

I bought this machine on sale in 1982. I sewed with it thousands of hours. Thick to thin, never had any problems. I bought a service contract which came in handy as in the first year the memory board went out. A horrible man destroyed my machine putting me into great sadness. He greased a bearing which than broke. I was talked into trading it in on Necchi which I hated. I than tried Brother than Viking. None compared to this wonderful machine. I was told parts were hard to come by. Would love to have this machine again!!

Chris Denno 03-12-2018 10:14 AM

These are common on our Craigsliat....have you checked there? I am very surprised that the boards are replacable....if they are as someone posted.

Originally Posted by Rosalyn (Post 8016391)
I bought this machine on sale in 1982. I sewed with it thousands of hours. Thick to thin, never had any problems. I bought a service contract which came in handy as in the first year the memory board went out. A horrible man destroyed my machine putting me into great sadness. He greased a bearing which than broke. I was talked into trading it in on Necchi which I hated. I than tried Brother than Viking. None compared to this wonderful machine. I was told parts were hard to come by. Would love to have this machine again!!

Cari-in-Oly 03-12-2018 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Denno (Post 8020493)
These are common on our Craigsliat....have you checked there? I am very surprised that the boards are replacable....if they are as someone posted.

The boards were replaceable back when the machine was new and popular. still are IF you could find a good one (doubtful). This is a very old thread.

Cari

cwells 04-28-2018 08:32 PM

I purchased my Athena 2000 in 1975 and a beautiful wood cabinet where part of the top slides down for sewing sleeves, etc. I replaced a circuit board approx. 11 years ago. Machine and cabinet are in great condition. Will consider selling if offer is reasonable.

Spartagirl 02-20-2019 09:59 AM

Hi,

I have had one for for nearly forty years. While I absolutely love my machine, and would buy it again in a heartbeat, something you should know. Mine was fine for many years, but at some point, I was having trouble with it. I brought it in three times for repair, to two or three different places. It would work for a while, but the same problem kept recurring. If I could find a place to truly fix it, I would definitely try again, but I am not sure parts are available for it.

Cari-in-Oly 02-20-2019 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spartagirl (Post 8213334)
Hi,

I have had one for for nearly forty years. While I absolutely love my machine, and would buy it again in a heartbeat, something you should know. Mine was fine for many years, but at some point, I was having trouble with it. I brought it in three times for repair, to two or three different places. It would work for a while, but the same problem kept recurring. If I could find a place to truly fix it, I would definitely try again, but I am not sure parts are available for it.

Welcome to QB. Some parts are still available, I don't know specifically which ones. The only repairman I know of who truly loves these machines lives in American Samoa but Terry truly is the slant Singer guru.
http://store.tandtrepair.com/

Cari

Kathy1209 06-13-2019 11:50 AM

I have followed this thread with interest for years. I have an Athena 2000 purchased in 1979. Frankly, I didn't think it sewed a beautiful seam, but I put up with it. In the '90s, it developed a strange sound as I was sewing, and the service tech said it was a typical problem with this machine and that he had adjusted it all he could. I've been storing the machine for years because I just don't know how to get rid of it. I hate to throw it away if someone can use it or any part of it, but neither can I say that it's a good machine. Meanwhile, I have the manual, a booklet titled "Sewing Applications," the accessories box (more or less complete), 24 bobbins, and a Singer embroidery hoop (never opened). Are there suggestions for how I might dispose of these things?