Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   singer died help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-died-help-t77145.html)

clair 11-18-2010 09:53 AM

got the bad news from repair shop , my touch tronic singer died and is not repairable. need to know what machine is the best for quilting also used a few of the fancy stitches. but used it mostly for the walking foot to bind quilts. I have two fw that I use for most of the sewing. Husband says "buy a new one" Little does he know the cost what are your fav. I went to consume reports and the top 5 were Brother , bernia220 , pfaff performace2058 but not sure I 'am prepaired to spend that much . What do you use Or if you could have anything you wanted what would it be. thanks for your time and help.

ToucanSam 11-18-2010 09:55 AM

I would look at Berninas. Check the warranty info, where you would need to have it serviced and/or repaired...just make sure there is a dealer near you that you like working with.

Best of luck!

np3 11-18-2010 09:56 AM

I love my Pfaff with the built in walking foot.

watterstide 11-18-2010 09:57 AM

We are all mostly brand loyal! lol

look at a janome..maybe a 6500 or 6600. the prices have come down on those two, because of the new 7700 out.

karen65ae 11-18-2010 09:58 AM

I read your heading "singer died help" I thought why would someone be writing this on a quilting forum lol

Scissor Queen 11-18-2010 10:07 AM

Buying a sewing machine is a lot like buying a car. You really, really need to go look at what the dealers have in your area and give them a test drive.

Personally I have an eleven year old Pfaff 2030 and a new Janome 6600. I love them both!

leaha 11-18-2010 10:10 AM

I'm a Pfaff fan, all the way, the older ones, like my 7570, am so in love with it!! and it has the built in walking foot and way more fancy stitches than I will ever use, and the embroidery unit is great, and does all I want it to do, not the largeast or newest but works for me.

hobo2000 11-18-2010 10:10 AM

I love Janome and swear by them for NEW machines. I really prefer older machines as they sew so much better and last longer. But, I recently made a quilt for a friend on her machine. Brother LB6770PRW Project Runway Sewing-and-Embroidery Machine. It is a lovely machine, just enough emb. lots of great stitches and handles three to four layers realy well. She paid mid 4's on Amazon.com 4 months ago. I am impressed with it, comes with rolling carrier and all.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-18-2010 10:39 AM

Love my Bernina and my old Singers.

JUNEC 11-18-2010 10:57 AM

Are you sure it is dead. I took my Viking to the sewing machine store at Joann Fabric because it was giving me issues- they said it was too old, and they couldn't get parts for it anymore, but would give me $100 as a trade in for a new machine.
Told them I would think about it, looked in the yellow pages for a local sewing repair shop. They tuned it up for $70 and it works great.