Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are Singer Feather Weights Really That Great? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-feather-weights-really-great-t186870.html)

Briarberry 04-23-2012 11:11 AM

I have been looking for a FW for months but they are very expensive around here. While looking for the FW I have purchased a Singer 185J which is a nice 3/4 machine, I bought it because it was cheap and green. I also found a lovely 99K which is the same size as the 185J, I love how it purrs when I use it. Just this weekend I brought home a tan 301a which I can see becoming my favourite machine. It is called the FW's big sister sometimes. It is full sized but only weighs 16 lbs. Mine came in a lovely cabinet and it pops out easily for when I need to use it for a class. So what I am saying is, you can find lots of nice machines besides the FW. If I do find one for a reasonable price I may buy it but I am very pleased with the stitches the 301a makes and I like the look of the 301a too.

collady 04-23-2012 11:14 AM

OH YES!!!!! I love mine, and feel so thankful that my sister-in-law didn't want it as it was her mother's and now mine!

Toucanlady 04-23-2012 11:22 AM

I have a Bernina 930 and an Activa 135 and bought a cheap Brother because it was light weight and I go to a sewing group every Tuesday and my Berninas are way too heavy. I do not love the Brother so was wishing for a FW after doing some research on this site. Lo and behold, my sister still had my mother's FW and it is to be mine as soon as I go back to the states and pick it up. I am so excited to be getting a FW and the fact that it made all of my clothes for the first 16 years of my life is an extra hug!

carolynjo 04-23-2012 11:54 AM

I inherited a FW and I love it for piecing. The stitches are so even and the feed dogs feed the fabric very evenly, something one of my newer machines does not do. So, yes, I love it.

Z 04-23-2012 12:25 PM

Elna quilting

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5162016)
Interesting points. A FW heavy? 12 pounds?? The 301 at 16 pounds is my choice for the reasons given above. Trene, I'm surprised your Elna wlll quilt. Mine won't which is why I have the 301. That auto adjusting presser foot and the zigzag plate are two of the reasons she doesn't quilt well. I do love that machine and have used it for almost 40 years for everything imaginable, but the 301 is my piecer, my FMQer and my class machine.

FWs are adorable, that's for sure. What does the 'new' anniversary one weigh?

You said that you couldn't quilt on your Elna because of the zigzag plate. You can get a little snap on plate that covers the hole to allow for free motion quilting. Have you tried using a walking foot for regular, not free motion, quilting? You can get an open toe foot so that it is easier to see what you are doing. This allows you to use the built in stitches. The wavy zigzag or serpentine makes a wonderful design. Give it a try. I use both my Elna Super 62C and 64 for
quilting.

patdesign 04-23-2012 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=AZ Jane;5163812]LOL, I'm new to quilting but have managed to collect 5 machines so far, only one with auto-threader. I found a serger threader at Jo-Ann's. It is like a regular needle threader but way longer and it makes it much easier to thread all my machines. If you are having trouble seeing that tiny, tiny hole I highly recommend them. Here is a picture but I have seen them in other colors.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]329943[/ATTACH]

Butler Floss Threaders also work:)

river rat 04-23-2012 01:27 PM

I love my FW and I take it out once in awhile. It has a nice stitch, but for classes I take my Singer 301 or my Singer 99K. Not afraid to leave when we break for lunch.

sewbeadit 04-23-2012 01:38 PM

I have several and they are great. Depends on what you want. If you like the look, the feel, and the fun of having one, buy it, if you don't buy a new one.

dmsaki 04-23-2012 01:59 PM

I had a FW that I sold 2 years ago. Don't miss it. I love my Viking Sapphire 875. Up/down needle, cuts thread, cruise control... I'll take that any day over a FW.

vickie1976 04-23-2012 02:45 PM

After having a Viking Designer (1, then SE, now Diamond) I couldn't amagine sewing without all the bells and whistles, especially the thread cutter. Go with whatever you are comfortable with.