Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Singer Sewing Machine Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/singer-sewing-machine-questions-t201614.html)

wyoming_quilter 09-26-2012 03:58 PM

Singer Sewing Machine Questions

I found two Singer sewing machines and I need some help with identification and appraisal. I'm hoping someone here can help me. The first one is a feather weight Centennial model. The serial number is AK421688. It is complete and in good working condition, but has no attachments. They want $410 for it. The second one is another Singer and it looks like it needs a good cleaning. It didn't have an identifier on it so I don't know what model it is. The serial number is AE922770. There is a table with this one that is in rough shape. It has a light and a motor. Was that standard? This was only $35. I'm just getting interested in the older machines and need some assistance so I don't get something that I can't do anything with.

quiltingcandy 09-26-2012 04:04 PM

I got 2 from Shopgoodwill.com for under $200 and one on e-bay for $300.00 in 2012 - one did need a plug which was around $50.00 - but I end up with 3 machines. And all three featherweights had attachments and cases. It really is up to you and what you want to spend.

ckcowl 09-26-2012 04:11 PM

if you visit the singer site you can enter the serial numbers & find out the year it was made, pertinent information & down load a manual for them- and find out how many of them were made that year ect.

totosmom 09-26-2012 04:32 PM

Hi Kara. The FW, as you probably know, was made in 1951 and as for the price, well, I think they always ask too much for those things just because they're cute. The attachments shouldn't be hard to find.

The second one is a model 15 with a vertical bobbin which makes it wonderful to do FMQ, especially since it is in a cabinet. Yes, the light and the motor were standard, and the potted motor of the model 15 is one of Singer's best. It drives the motor directly without a belt.

If you have the space, I would go for the 15 in a cabinet because they are woooonderful to sew on. OTOH, if you want to go to classes and need a portable one, the 221 is great for that. Me, personally, I'd hold out for a lower price though. But that's just me.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Tashana 09-26-2012 04:41 PM

I paid $200 for my model 66 treadle which was in great condition. I got it off eBay. Craig list has great deals at least here on long island. I would try that if for no other reason than to compare prices.

Silver Needle 09-26-2012 06:11 PM

Featherweights that are not Centennial seem to start around $250 on eBay. You pay extra for the Centennial. Ask over in the vintage area on QB you'll get the best information there.

wyoming_quilter 09-26-2012 06:11 PM

Thank you all for your input. I'll do some more research and get back down to the store to take another look.

Prism99 09-26-2012 06:51 PM

Having a Centennial medallion on a machine doesn't necessarily mean it's actually a centennial machine. Dealers used to remove the medallion from beat-up machines and put them on cleaner machines to add value. Much of the value in vintage Singers is related to condition (the more pristine, the higher the price). A beat-up Centennial could sell for less than the same model in pristine condition.

Featherweight prices depend a lot on where you live. They tend to be less expensive on the East Coast because of the density of population. In the Midwest, where I live, the top price even for a Centennial would be around $350 now. They could be more expensive in Wyoming simply because there aren't as many in that area of the country. For me, $410 is way too expensive for a machine without attachments and without a case in good condition (you didn't mention a carrying case for it).

wyoming_quilter 09-28-2012 06:30 AM

The featherweight did have a case. I looked into them a little more too and came to the same conclusion that I could get one with all the attachments for less. So I think I'll keep looking. My DH is trying to convince me to get the other machine, but I want to see if someone around here can do some maintenance for me and get it running. Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5543676)
Having a Centennial medallion on a machine doesn't necessarily mean it's actually a centennial machine. Dealers used to remove the medallion from beat-up machines and put them on cleaner machines to add value. Much of the value in vintage Singers is related to condition (the more pristine, the higher the price). A beat-up Centennial could sell for less than the same model in pristine condition.

Featherweight prices depend a lot on where you live. They tend to be less expensive on the East Coast because of the density of population. In the Midwest, where I live, the top price even for a Centennial would be around $350 now. They could be more expensive in Wyoming simply because there aren't as many in that area of the country. For me, $410 is way too expensive for a machine without attachments and without a case in good condition (you didn't mention a carrying case for it).