Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Single Irish chain quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/single-irish-chain-quilt-t511.html)

Winnie 01-27-2007 06:05 AM

I have been looking at ways to make a single irish chain quilt and they all seem to be a 9 patch alternating with a solid block. On page 5 of this board sewmom24 sent a pic of a beautiful one she made. It looks different. Sewmom, if you see this post, could you give me a little info on it. Or if anyone has any ideas re: an irish chain I'd love to hear. Thanks.
Winnie

Knot Sew 01-27-2007 06:47 AM

this pattern is available on line, I know for sure because , I looked at many before I made mine. I used two color red and white. If you google irish chain there are many free patterns available because it is an old standard. The colors selected by you gives it its look..........hope this helps

kathy 01-27-2007 07:36 AM

I see what you mean, her solid blocks with the hummingbirds seem much larger. I too will be interested to see what the difference is.

vicki reno 02-06-2007 11:11 AM

In the March/April '05 issue of Quiltmaker, there is a pattern for "My Irish Grandma Sue." It is an Irish Chain made with 30's reproduction fabric s and Sunbonnet' Sue's skirt is the wedges from the fan block. If you are loking for somethng a little bit different, you might want to check this out.

Winnie 02-06-2007 05:27 PM

Thanks so much Vicki for the info. I have a friend who, I think, gets that magazine. I'll try and find the pattern.
Winnie

vicki reno 02-07-2007 04:47 AM

I had been given precut wedges to use as the Dresden plate or fan so I used them in her skirt, but just made the traditional Sue quilt since I felt it would take too long to do the other. I machine embroidered on each hat band and used a darker pink for the shoe and hat. With me, I am always running behind with so many neices and nephews whose families are expecting, so I make the minimum but still try to make it look good.

Debbie Murry 03-07-2007 05:10 AM

Winnie I did a triple irish chain. This is an excel doc that gives some directions. Two pages check them both.

vicki reno 03-07-2007 10:42 AM

I got all excited, I thought it was. I have the pattern if you need a copy of it. I can hunt it up and send it by snail mail. I am not smart like Patrice and it would take me into the next century to try and scan it and send it to you. :D

Debbie Murry 03-07-2007 10:49 AM

All you who downloaded my irish chain spreadsheet please disregard the dimensions. I have updated it with correct measurements. The gold should have been 1 1/4 by 4 1/4. The blue is 1 1/4 by 6 3/4. Sorry.

frannella 01-21-2018 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by vicki reno (Post 4167)
In the March/April '05 issue of Quiltmaker, there is a pattern for "My Irish Grandma Sue." It is an Irish Chain made with 30's reproduction fabric s and Sunbonnet' Sue's skirt is the wedges from the fan block. If you are loking for somethng a little bit different, you might want to check this out.

Vicki--do you still have this magazine after all these years? I have been searching high and low across the internet for a copy of that pattern--its such a lovely SBS quilt, but I can't find a copy of that issue of Quiltmaker magazine. Thank you, Fran.