Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Single straight stitch machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/single-straight-stitch-machine-t173531.html)

cizzors 12-28-2011 05:05 PM

Single straight stitch machine

If you had up to $600.00 for a single stitch machine with a large throat, which would you buy and why? Doesn't need all the bells and whistles but a good work horse for mainly piecing and straight line quilting. Will check back later and TIA. Karen

AliKat 12-29-2011 06:43 AM

I wouldn't go straight stitch only ... except for a FW.

I like to use the wobble [skinny zigzag stitch] for machine applique. I also use a few of the fancy stitches, not many, but a few, for applying binding by machine.

I also like to be able to move my needle position at least a bit.

All this is available in lower priced machines by reputable manufacturers.

ali

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 12-29-2011 06:50 AM

I wouldn't spend that much for a machine that doesn't do much. I think I'd look for a good used machine.

Charlee 12-29-2011 06:54 AM

Go for vintage. For a lot less than that you can get a 15-91, straight stitch only, harp space is large, great for FMQ, and you can buy attachments that will zigzag and do decorative stitches. It'll out perform and out last any new machine on the market.

katier825 12-29-2011 06:57 AM

Have you looked into a Juki? I've never tried one, but have heard great things about them.

Holice 12-29-2011 07:00 AM

look for an industrial machine. i have read they are good work horses. Large space opening

Rose Marie 12-29-2011 07:05 AM

Mine is a Baby Lock Jane that I bought to put on a frame and also got a stitch regulator for it.
That is the only reason to buy a strait stitch machine.
It is very premative with treading, too complicated for me and I dont like the under the machine bobbin I prefer a drop in.
I have a computerized Viking for the rest of my quilting and love it.
My first machine was a Brother quilting machine that only cost $129 and it came with a walking foot and extension table, so you can get a basic quilting machine at a low cost. I still use it when my Viking is in for servicing. Its a great back up machine.

TeresaH 12-29-2011 07:54 AM

I recently got a Brother PQ1500s machine for $600, which is a straight stitch only mechanical machine. It is my second machine, though. I have a computerized Brother sewing/embroidery machine for the fancy stuff. The larger throat makes a huge difference when quilting. It has a walking foot, a FMQ foot, and a 1/4" foot (in addition to the regular feet). It also sews a better 1/4" seam than the computerized machine. I really love it for the purpose for which I intended it.

bdschafer 12-29-2011 08:32 AM

I just bought a Brother PQ1500s for 600 and I just love it....I wanted one just for FM sewing, as I have another machine for all the rest of the stuff!!! It's like sewing through butter. I guess I'm pass the stage of doing all the fancy stitches, just want to make quilts and donate them....

Kitsie 12-29-2011 11:48 AM

I have an old Pfaff 1196 with a 7 1/2" throat. Loved it, still do. Does zig-zag and a few decorative stitches. Sews beautifully and truly is a work horse. Got it used for $250 from a dealer. Made queen and king sized quilts on it.