Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Sit down" long arm industrial for FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sit-down-long-arm-industrial-fmq-t190169.html)

sewplease 05-27-2012 04:30 PM

"Sit down" long arm industrial for FMQ

I'm really curious about the Juki DDL 8700 industrial machine for FMQ. It's actually cheaper or comparable to the Juki 9" machine so many people like. Has anyone ever used one of these? I think it has a harp space of 11 inches but I'm guessing.
I can find only one youtube video showing someone using it for quilting. I hope the link works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C3g1-fzIxM

Silver Needle 05-27-2012 04:45 PM

Unless your committed to new, check out the Viking Mega Quilter on EBay $305.00 + shipping. I might sell mine at some point as we're really getting into vintage machine collecting. It is an industrial machine with a 9 inch throat.

Jingle 05-27-2012 05:18 PM

I have a Juki TL98QE and love it, quilts very well. I'm sure you will love the machine you asked about.

jaciqltznok 05-27-2012 07:33 PM

the issue is this....the Industrial machines have NO speed control...you go 90-nothing flat out..you notice she is NOT quilting on something that will show you how it looks...My dad had one of these for sewing upholstery...it was NOT good for quilting, I tried..needed a speed controller!

BKrenning 05-27-2012 09:22 PM

Some of them do have a speed controller/foot pedal or it can be added to others. I would definitely find out before spending any money, though. I would also keep searching for the size of the harp. If it is 11", I would look at the Janome Horizon. It may cost more but it does more and it was designed for home use. There will also be more people able to help talk you through any issues.

Hulalulu 05-28-2012 01:32 AM

We sell this machine in our local shop....just started carrying it. Think 11" is correct. It comes complete -- and I mean with 2 walking feet , spring FMQ foot, work table extension, the cone thread holders, and knee control as well as foot control. It's quite nice. We haven't promoted it at all yet, however, have sold several. The needle threader is a bit more complicated to use, and you can cut your threads by tapping on the foot control! Competitive price wise with our Baby Lock and Viking models-- has a good feel to it. The throat makes the work space an inch longer than the Viking Sapphire models. Finding the right machine for you has alot to do with trying the machine out and finding your fit -- kind of like the elusive "best bathing suit I ever owned"! Good luck finding the right machine for you....

yngldy 05-28-2012 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hulalulu (Post 5248061)
We sell this machine in our local shop....just started carrying it. Think 11" is correct. It comes complete -- and I mean with 2 walking feet , spring FMQ foot, work table extension, the cone thread holders, and knee control as well as foot control. It's quite nice. We haven't promoted it at all yet, however, have sold several. The needle threader is a bit more complicated to use, and you can cut your threads by tapping on the foot control! Competitive price wise with our Baby Lock and Viking models-- has a good feel to it. The throat makes the work space an inch longer than the Viking Sapphire models. Finding the right machine for you has alot to do with trying the machine out and finding your fit -- kind of like the elusive "best bathing suit I ever owned"! Good luck finding the right machine for you....

TheJuki or the Horizon?

BKrenning 05-29-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hulalulu (Post 5248061)

Does the knee control actually regulate speed or does it lift the presser foot? The first machine I ever used had a knee controller for speed and it was actually much easier to use than a foot controller. It was actually a lever that pushed on the foot controller tucked into the side of the cabinet but I sure liked that design better than finicky foot controllers like they make now. All the knee controllers I have seen on new machines lift the presser foot which is cool for chain piecing, applique & turning corners I suppose, but I sure miss that old Monky Ward sewing machine!

BKrenning 06-01-2012 07:24 AM

I found the Juki 8700 all setup on a frame with speed controller at a quilt shop. These folks used to sell a big heavy monster machine years ago. They are a well respected quilt shop in central Missouri, near Lake of the Ozarks. It also says that the machine has an 11 3/4" throat. Very reasonably priced for the entire setup IMHO.

http://www.nustylequilting.com/quiltingmachines.htm

I would definitely give them or someone like them a call if I were again shopping for a quilting system.

jlm5419 06-01-2012 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5247884)
the issue is this....the Industrial machines have NO speed control...you go 90-nothing flat out..you notice she is NOT quilting on something that will show you how it looks...My dad had one of these for sewing upholstery...it was NOT good for quilting, I tried..needed a speed controller!

Jacquie, you can get a speed controller that will help. I got one at Harbor Freight, it was called a router speed controller. That is what was recommended to me by a man who makes "stretched" machines.